Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
In the eternal subject of high property taxes in Cook County, how does $9,500 tax sound for a $180k residence? Is it just me or does this sound ridiculous?
You should see what taxes are like in Grayslake if you think that's ridiculous.

I was talking about this with my husband recently. I suppose you have to look at the difference between Chicago and Lake county property taxes as an equivalent to what it would have cost you to put your kids in private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
sounds way too high. call the accessor

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
I just realized they were talking about Cook County. Never mind.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,825 times
Does anyone know the best way to contest your property tax based on home value? Say you buy a house for 15% less then what it was worth 6 years ago..obviously your property tax should be less then what it was 6 years ago right? How do you contest and when do you need to do it?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
Does anyone know the best way to contest your property tax based on home value? Say you buy a house for 15% less then what it was worth 6 years ago..obviously your property tax should be less then what it was 6 years ago right? How do you contest and when do you need to do it?
In cook county you can begin by contacting your local township office. Remember, just because the house is worth less does not directly result in a tax decrease. Local government bodies, like school districts, can legally adjust the tax rate and the assesors office can also adjust the multiplier. Home value may drop, but the need and/or desire for tax maney to keep government functioning does not automatically become less expense as well.
As an example, our local school district adjusts the tax rate yearly based on whichever of the following numbers is LOWEST: CPI or 5%.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
two yrs ago, our home was assessed at 578k and today assessed at 487k and the taxes were the same at just shy of 9,300

We've been successful in fighting our assessment before.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM

36 posts, read 105,840 times
Tomorrow is election day. If you have a school referendum to spend even more mountains of cash on a dysfunctional system run by bureaucrats and staffed by teachers whose principal qualification is possession of a paper certificate from some loony-bin ed school, then vote ***NO***.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times
I successfully contested my Cook County property taxes. They only gave me a 2% cut. I actually did it online, took me about 5 minutes, and 5 weeks later it was approved.

Unfortunately, my Schaumburg taxes rose $1000 due to an inefficient and overspending local government. My mayor has been in office so long, he acts like it's his inherited position.

I'm going to the polls with my kids this afternoon. I used to be against term limits, but in the last few years I've changed my mind.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
two yrs ago, our home was assessed at 578k and today assessed at 487k and the taxes were the same at just shy of 9,300

We've been successful in fighting our assessment before.
Did you contest online or in person? How did you go about it?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Default Sodium is BAD for you. Don't ever use it.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
Tomorrow is election day. If you have a school referendum to spend even more mountains of cash on a dysfunctional system run by bureaucrats and staffed by teachers whose principal qualification is possession of a paper certificate from some loony-bin ed school, then vote ***NO***.
If you want to make a generalized blanket statement without differentiating between local needs then DON"T VOTE! We don't need more lemming-like, 5 second-news clip, under-informed voters going to the polls. If your district is mismanaged and has 150% reserves, then get specific and call out YOUR district. Don't lump all of them together because that's not accurate or fair. Better yet, let me ask you, how many school board meetings have you attended in the last year? How much volunteer time have you given? How familiar are you with the performance of your schools and students & how well prepared are they for high school? Do you know the specifics of how your district spends its money, how big class sizes are, how the pay structure compares with neighboring districts??!!

I happen to value the non-mandated programs at District 23, such as sports, art, voice & instrumental music, woodworking/shop-classes, P.E. taught by P.E. teachers not by classroom teachers for kids under grade 6. Our admin. is amongst the lowest paid compared with 5 neighboring districts(yes some make a lot of money-but for right now it's what the market will bear)our principals are paid in about the 47% percentile. AND OUR KIDS SCORE VERY WELL; our district ranked 18th in the entire state. When I look at salaries, programs and expenses and compare with the top 17 and surrounding districts, I determine our district has been pretty frugal. THEREFORE I AM 100% BEHIND VOTING YES FOR DISTRICT 23'S TAX INCREASE.

Our band just advanced to super-state. For us that's like our basketball team advancing to super-state. Do we want to eliminate these programs and experiences for our kids? NO Because we feel that programs like these are instrumental (pardon the pun)in their academic performance and achievement. It makes our district a desired one and this is reflected in home values.
*Your statement is like me saying sodium is bad, don't ever use it. Of course that's not true. If you use too much or use it incorrectly, then it's bad for you. Same goes for school district's use of money. They need money to operate. Some districts use it wisely, others don't. Doesn't make it correct to say, all referendums are bad!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs