Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM

457 posts, read 978,178 times

Advertisements

Know what you mean. I grew up in Oak Lawn and drove to the Orland and Palos areas for recreation. Came back last year and was surprised by all the Middle Eastern residents in the South suburbs. Sorry...thinking of moving back to IL from The OC. California turned me Jaded with all the Persians, Vietnamese and Mexicans who can't speak English or pretend not to....can't wait to move out of The OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
I've noticed that Middle Easterners own nearly all of the food joints and small stores in Washington Park, Englewood, Woodlawn, etc. I didn't realize that they also lived there, though. I have heard about an Arab area near 63rd and Ashland (I think) and recall visiting back in the 80s -- wasn't aware that it was still around. Does anyone know?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,925 times
Hi all,
As a Muslim and of South Asian descent, (living in England), and buying a rental property in Harvey this week, I am very interested in this discussion.
I've just bought my first US property on the corner of 158th Street and Loomis Avenue. I hope to buy many more here. (and hope to really carve out an oasis).
I'd like to buy up REO's and Short Sale properties, (boarded up), and make them livable and and get them rented, hopefully start paying property taxes, so the tax dollars can hopefully be used to improve the area.
After investing in India and the UK for many years, I'm hoping I don't lose my shirt in the US. Everyone thinks I've gone crazy to want to invest in the US at this time, but right now it's cheaper to buy a house here than it is in many parts of India. (There is no comparison between the 2 places).

Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 12,925 times
Oh yeah, and while we are on the topic of the Nation of Islam
You are right, Muslims do not regard the NOI as fellow Muslims.
We can't pray in their mosques. It would be the same for us to pray in a church or sinagogue.
This is the reason for us building our own Mosques, (or Masjids as we like to call them).
Also just in case you didn't know, Indians and Pakistanis are generally darker skinned than most of the Arabs I have met, and 90% of Indians are not usually Muslims.
Out of curiousity, what is the term generally used for someone from Indian descent?
(I'm assuming the word, "Indian", must be reserved for your native people).

Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
rlohiya,

Harvey is what us Americans call "the hood". A lot of Americans compare the hood to third world countries but this is mostly because they've never actually been to a third world county.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
People from India are called "Indians". George Bush always called them "citizens of India" to avoid confusion. No one else does. Some young people say "Asian". That doesn't really work. I've heard hindu (especially in spanish) but there is an obvious problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlohiya View Post
Out of curiousity, what is the term generally used for someone from Indian descent?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlohiya View Post
Oh yeah, and while we are on the topic of the Nation of Islam
You are right, Muslims do not regard the NOI as fellow Muslims.
We can't pray in their mosques. It would be the same for us to pray in a church or sinagogue.
This is the reason for us building our own Mosques, (or Masjids as we like to call them).
Also just in case you didn't know, Indians and Pakistanis are generally darker skinned than most of the Arabs I have met, and 90% of Indians are not usually Muslims.
That's not 100% true. Many non-NOI muslims (as well as Christians) have always been welcome to pray in a NOI mosque. Also, I know many of NOI members who went to pilgrimage to Mecca and ran into no problems with other muslims. They just don't get along with each other.

Most of the South Asians living in Harvey are pretty light-skinned and they are definately muslim.

Even though "South Asian" is the most political correct term to use, most people would either call them Indians or East Indian (as opposed to West Indian). However, most people usually go by context clues to figure out which Indian one is referring to. For example, "Those Indians tried to overprice me on some Jordan's." or "I have some Indian in me...or I'm mixed with Indian".

Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Arabs in Harvey? Are you talking about Saudia Arabia or another country like Jordan, Palestine, Pakistani, Iran? I am going to change the title.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Arabs in Harvey? Are you talking about Saudia Arabia or another country like Jordan, Palestine, Pakistani, Iran? I am going to change the title.
Arabs? Middle-easterners? Whats the big deal? What is with this sudden need for political correctness. People say crazy things on this forum all the time and the title of this thread bugs you? This post has been up for months. Aren't you a little too late to complain about the title?

Besides, we had figured out that they're not even Arabs or Middle-easterners. They are South Asians. So you might wanna change the tittle again.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
It's good to see you around again, Suburban_Boy. I hope to see more posts from you in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs