Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM

19 posts, read 57,484 times

Advertisements

I have some questions regarding the New East Side neighborhood and am hoping you can help me. I'm interested in this neighborhood, but don't know too much about it. What do you know about this neighborhood? Likes, dislikes, etc. would be much appreciated. Also, how are 1-bedroom high-rise condos usually priced in this area? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you mean the developments east of Michigan and north of Randolph / south of Grand (or so) that is generally the "greater Streeterville area" and I don't know why that name is not good enough for the marketers...

The price of condos in that area are ALL OVER THE MAP depending on a variety of factors including how nice the building is, how high the unit is, how extreme the assessments are and how up to date the individual unit is. Low end you might find stuff under $200K, high end might be 5X that...

Elementary schools are far away, high schools not much closer. Handful of normal grocery stores intersperses with lots of tiny in-building places. If you can walk to your office from the building then commute issues are pretty well in-hand, if you need to get on a CTA bus to get to another station that might make for some long days with tourists/shoppers and hospital traffic to contend with...

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

55 posts, read 161,908 times
We looked here too: on the positive side, AAAAAMAZING views and new construction with award winning design (Aqua). But, honestly, as far as convenience goes, you might as well be living at the pumping station in the middle of lake Michigan or in the 'burbs where you have to drive everywhere......no Starbucks, no grocery store, no restaurants...no thanks.

I spoke to one person who lived there and she said that she liked it because there is a huge park and playground for her daughter and there is also a great dog park if you are in to that. I frequently wonder about that huge parcel of land bordered by wacker and lsd and what they are going to build there and how much that would block views of existing buildings.

I heard recently that they are finally getting a grocery store. (Roundey's sp?) Although, I heard this in 2007 when we were looking there too. It's not for me, it's just a little far removed for my liking and would require too much driving.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
There are one or two threads on this area already:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...east-side.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...****-east.html

Old 06-15-2010, 02:09 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickygal View Post
We looked here too: on the positive side, AAAAAMAZING views and new construction with award winning design (Aqua). But, honestly, as far as convenience goes, you might as well be living at the pumping station in the middle of lake Michigan or in the 'burbs where you have to drive everywhere......no Starbucks, no grocery store, no restaurants...no thanks.
Not true. I work every day on the "new east side" and every day I go out to lunch. It is only a 4 block walk to Michigan avenue, you don't need a car to walk 4 blocks. There is a coffee shop right next to a bank right across the street from the park as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
No Starbucks; oh the humanity!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Coincidentally, a photo of Aqua, on the "new east side" is one of the two feature headline articles at CNN.com...

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
I know several people who live in Streeterville and they enjoy it for the most part. The proximity to Michigan Ave and near north side is nice, but the area itself is pretty sterile.

If you want a nice hi-rise view and don't really care about neighborhood/community then it's a good choice. It's just not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: