Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Perhaps you misread. This property is on the west side of Western ave, at the intersection of Armitage and Western.
Nope, I'm simply pointing out that purchasing here squarely puts one at the edge of what I'd consider "fully" gentrified Armitage.

I'd consider that kind of a plus, personally - means you have a pretty wide range of options depending which direction you head out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
I've been living just a little north of the area you're looking at for 7 years. I've had absolutely no problems at all. There are some issues at the Milwaukee/Armitage intersection with homeless people by the liquor store and some sketchy teenagers at the hot dog place on Armitage. Other than that it is fine. Check Everyblock.com for crimes in the area (everyone has their own threshold for "safe").

Even with the economy cratering for the last couple years there is a lot going on in the area. A few places have opened around that intersection, and A LOT of new places have opened by the California stop - Revolution brewpub, Cole's, and Boiler Room are the big ones. Ronnie's seems to really be taking off as well.

Even just a year ago the area was a bit empty late at night, but there are now a lot of cabs around and drunken white people at all hours of night. Estimating property prices is kind of tough anywhere in the city due to the low volume of sales, but we just had three banks appraise our house at about 150-200% of what we paid for it 7 years ago (we did a lot of work on it - subtracting those costs we're still up 60-70%). If you're looking to find a place that will appreciate you need to look at how much risk you are willing to take. Bucktown presents little to no risk, but ultimately the return will reflect that. The southern end of Logan Square presents a low risk with a moderate possible return - and as I mentioned, you will be following businesses that have bet their existence on the area succeeding. So far they are doing great.

In the end it is up to you to figure out what feels safe to you, but I'm a married middle aged guy raising a young child and I'm completely comfortable in the area.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Even just a year ago the area was a bit empty late at night, but there are now a lot of cabs around and drunken white people at all hours of night.
Signs of progress if ever there were any.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 20,066 times
Well, I made the plunge and am going to be the new neighbor to anywhere who lives nearby. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 PM

48 posts, read 89,765 times
I take it you bought the place on Western and Armitage?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Affirmative. Here's hoping in 10 years or whatever, when I sell, people don't still think this is a bad part of town. After spending some time in the area I realized it doesn't fully deserve its reputation - and there was certainly a bunch of new construction going on which is promising for the future.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
...After spending some time in the area I realized it doesn't fully deserve its reputation - and there was certainly a bunch of new construction going on...
Key word-was.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Key word-was.
Was as in 2 days ago.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I think you did fine by buying there. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but when I use to live in the area, I always thought you had to be over more towards California and then go south of Armitage for it to get "weird". I really need to get back over in that area and hang out/walk around soon. It's been a few years now since I hung out there for any decent amount of time.

I wonder if the old lady still has the bar just west of Kedzie on Fullerton that we use to go to all the time. The place didn't even have a name out front.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,885 times
Red Herring,

You should be fine. I like that area, especially with the close access to blue line. I do agree, though, not much new construction these days, though there are isolated examples. That area will get better and better over time, but you will need to be patient. You will need to stay 10 years to see significant improvement. My guess is in 5 years it will look pretty much the same, but not worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago