Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

We're heading into the city Friday night to celebrate a new relocation from MI. I'm looking for unique ideas, restaurants, anything "best of" Chicago. We're in our early 30's. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,825 times
There are SO many restaurants to choose from so maybe you can narrow it down a bit more for people to give you suggestions? What type of food are you in the mood for? A good thing to do after dinner is go up to the Signature Room in the Hancock. You can sit by the window in the bar area and have a WAY overpriced martini but the view of Chicago and the lake front from up there makes it worth it. It's a perfect setting for an after dinner drink in the City, especially if you are just moving to the city.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,535 times
That sounds great! We are open to all kinds of food honestly, although I will say my husband loves mexican. Maybe somewhere by the Hancock building or House of Blues.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,825 times
Las Palmas on 1835 W North Ave, is really good, but not entirely close to the Hancock or House of Blues. But you could take a cab downtown afterwards? I can't think of any Mexican places close to there off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can? I know Rick Bayless's restaurant Frontera Grill is kind of close to there but I doubt you will be able to get in.....You need to reserve a table at least a couple weeks in advance. You can try though??

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Frontera is fantastic, I think they take some walk-ins, but you might want to save it for another time and make a reservation. I just celebrated a major bday and went to Girl and the Goat to celebrate - we all loved it! I unfortunately don't get to the city as much as I'd like, but I will definitely go back. Another place best to get a reservation for. For food and restaurant suggestions, check out LTH forum.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Frontera doesn't take reservations, if you show up around 4 or so you can get in around 6-7. It varies from night to night.

Check Open Table for reservations at Topolobampo, which is the higher end Bayless restaurant next to Frontera (not really a lot better quality-wise, you're basically paying for the option of having a reservation). Also check out Xoco for lunch.

What sort of price range are you looking at for dinner?

LTH is definitely a great resource.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM

40 posts, read 65,748 times
Ron of Japan! Just a couple of blocks away from Hancock.

Drinks at Jake Melnick's afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago