Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 AM

33 posts, read 134,603 times

Advertisements

We have two kids (currently aged 3 and 6) and I am very attracted to the idea of living somewhere in Chicago with great access to all the various cultural and learning possibilities the city offers (museums, galleries, theatres, etc.). The downside, of course, is that you sacrifice space: the big suburban house with big garden, not really an option in the more buzzing parts of the city. (I'm thinking specifically Andersonville or Lincln Square, mainly.)

So, my question is, has anyone got any experience raising kids in a Chicago apartment -- is it manageable? Did you eventually head out to the suburbs? Do you have any advice for someone considering it? What are the big pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Chicago is NOT New York...

I have friends that raised kids in Manhattan. Yes, they were pretty well off, but not crazy rich. The kids had lots of other kids in similar situation. They did "city kid" stuff together and turned out fine.

In Chciago I know several dozen families with kids. Only one family lives in an apartment and they are CRAZY rich. Even then the parents sorta hate having the kids cooped up int he building as there are basically no other families that their kids know. They fo to private schools and even there very few other parents do not live in a single family or townhouse situation.

Cost is part of it, as townhouses are relatively affordable, but also patterns of weather and age and employment. Aapartment building and condos in Chciago ovewehleming attract the single young folks and older folks whose kids moved away / never had any. This makes sense if you do not want to shovel snow, but sucks for kids who love to play in it. Ditto for hot summers playing in sprinklers / fire hydrants.

It is also very difficult to sell condos in current economic conditions and that too affects folks with kids, as they like to keep their options open fro schools and having an unsellable condo is one heck of disincentive...

Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
I grew up in apartments close to LS (albany park)

I turned out fine.

I never noticed the lack of yards and what not. Still had fun, still did stuff.

Didn't even have a bedroom

No big deal.
And lots of latino/black families live in apartments with kids.
No just singles attracted to them.
(Mostly cus of affordability but still)

Also I advice living close to a park with a playground and everything.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
LOL of course its manageable. I was raised in a 2-flat. I played with all of the other kids that were raised in 2-3 flat buildings on the block and throughout the neighborhood. Some lived in big courtways, others lived in high-rises. We were still able to ride bikes, play sports, etc. We also learned very valuable lessons at a young age on how to navigate CTA and know when we're being bs'd by shady people. Ah, good times

Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Exactly. ^^^

Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
bringing up kids in an apartment building? of course. people do it all the time. two things that really make it easier: elevator and carpeting. walk ups with strollers are a pain in the butt--and imagine you have groceries too, or maybe more than one kid. the carpeting is good to reduce noise and complaints from the neighbors underneath (unless you're on the ground floor).

window guards are a must. every year some kid falls from the window and dies and you dont want that kid to be yours. it can happen even if you live on the second floor.

helps too if you live in an aprtment with a washer/dryer. kids go through dirty clothes like crazy. in unit is best. in building is next best. i'd try to avoid any bldng where you have to go outside and down the block someplace to do the laundry.

of course location always helps. near a park is great. but when mine were small, in bad weather we used to let them run up and down the stairs to blow off energy. we lived on the 8th floor of a very safe bldng and so it wasn't a problem.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
People just have different tastes. I like apartment living, I like having my family all in close proximity rather than spread out across 3 or 4 floors, I like the security of being in a building (possibly with a doorman). I'm not a garden person and I'd take being able to walk to all my amenities over having to drive my beast of a car on a 20 mile round trip that takes twice as long. The idea of being able to walk my kids to school is almost enough to get me on the next Metra back to the city.

Most people aren't like that. They want a single family home, a massive school, a 2/3 car garage, a massive yard and deck. Most people don't want to be out and about on public transport and trudging through snow in the middle of winter. They don't like sharing walls with people and they don't like having to keep their possessions (ie crap) to a minimal level.

Only you know what is acceptable or desirable for you and your family.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I grew up living in 6 flats and 2 flats and it was fine; millions of others have as well. Never fell out a window either.

We had plenty to do as kids; played fast piching at the playground and line ball and basketball in the alley. Kids will amuse themselves.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM

81 posts, read 110,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrv0us View Post
...The downside, of course, is that you sacrifice space: the big suburban house with big garden, not really an option in the more buzzing parts of the city. (I'm thinking specifically Andersonville or Lincln Square, mainly.)...
You may also want to look into other neighborhoods that have houses on larger than average lots, such as Lakewood-Balmoral,the northwestern portion of Lake View around Lake View High School, and the eastern portion of Ravenswood between Raveswood and Ashland. Since you have not listed how much you can afford these neighborhoods may or may not work for you. But if you can afford Lincoln Square or Andersonville you can afford the neighborhoods I listed.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM

81 posts, read 110,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I grew up living in 6 flats and 2 flats and it was fine; millions of others have as well. Never fell out a window either...
99 times out of a 100 the only time a kid falls out of a window is if mommy is busy smoking crack,out hooking,or on her back with her boyfriend in the next room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago