Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 33,873 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Chicago next summer and was wondering what the parking is like in these neighborhoods?

Ideally, I would like to move into an apartment that has its own parking lot (pref. covered but I'm not sure what is the norm) and that is within walking distance to a train that could take me to the northern suburbs.

Could anybody give me an area (streets/blocks or specific apartment buildings) that have these? These two things are very important to me in my apartment search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,074 times
The parking situation varies widely. There are so many apartment houses and complexes, it would be impossible to even list a few. Not sure where you are moving from, but generally the "covered" parking in Chicago is different than covered parking in the south and southwest.

In the south and southwest, it is not unheard of for parking spaces to be underneath regular (small) apartment complexes or built on the ground with a roof overhead.

In Chicago, the apartment buildings are smaller (except for the highrises) and are built right onto the street. This means that in smaller buildings, which dominate Lakeview and Wrigleyville, you usually have 2 options. Street parking, where you have to gauge the block you are on if this is feasible, or pay for a spot in a private parking garage.

The street parking gets better if you are on side streets, away from the major commercial arteries.

Lincoln Park is a mix of smaller buildings and large highrises. The highrises tend to have parking for a fee and the parking is located underground on the first few floors of the building. Street parking is dependent again on the location, if it is a quiet side street, or Fullerton Avenue for example.

As to the train, all METRA suburban commuter trains leave out of Union Station/Ogilvie which are connected. This is located on the near west side. There are a few north side stops, but it depends where you are working for which train you take.

I am aware of only a few METRA train stops on the north side, but they may not go on the lines you need. Where are you working?

It is hard to live on that city of the city and take the METRA train to the northern suburbs. It is possible, depending on where you need to go and if your office is walking distance or provides a shuttle to the suburban METRA station.

The closest METRA station to Wrigleyville/Lakeview is Ravenswood which is north of there. It is also off the CTA Brown Line. If you live near a Brown Line stop, you could take Brown line to Ravenswood and then catch the METRA train, but allot plenty of time since the METRA trains don't run frequently from city to burbs.

The closest METRA to Lincoln Park is Clybourn and it is not near an L stop.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM

10 posts, read 13,177 times
This has already been discussed...

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...hborhoods.html

Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
You have got two problems with this situation.
Problem 1 commuting to the north burbs. Metra is more for people coming into the city for work than for people leaving the city for work. Make sure that metra’s schedule lines up with your work schedule and that you have a way to get from the Metra station to where you are working. What burb you are gong to is also important so that we can make sure you don’t have a long drive or bus ride to the Metra station.

Problem 2. Parking in these neighborhoods is generally bad. Expect to pay up to $300 a month for parking in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: