Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 PM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times

Advertisements

Would you live near here, or not? The time has come for us to move yet again, and we've found a couple of amazing places on N. Malden, right near Graceland cemetery. Any thoughts on the area? I've found plenty of information about nearby areas, but am a little concerned about living near the cemetery and it being a "dead zone." (no pun intended). The street looks lovely so I'm hoping it's a go.

A little background information -- we're a young married couple expecting our first child in March, so safety is a big concern.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I would personally live there as long as my windows did not look over the gravestones. Who really cares mostly you will be in your apt. Safety is the key, but the cemetary itself should not be an issue.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times
To clarify, I'm concerned that because it's a cemetery the area will not see much foot traffic at night, making it more susceptible to people hanging out, maybe causing trouble...

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Which ones the one that had graffiti on the walls in the 90s?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I wouldn't give a crap about the cemetery at all - but I would research the fact you're living at Montrose and Malden.

I live at sheridan and buena, and things get a little crappy once you hit that montrose zone in Uptown. It's usually idiot gangbangers on gangbangers (almost always)....for whatever that's worth.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Would you live near here, or not? The time has come for us to move yet again, and we've found a couple of amazing places on N. Malden, right near Graceland cemetery. Any thoughts on the area? I've found plenty of information about nearby areas, but am a little concerned about living near the cemetery and it being a "dead zone." (no pun intended). The street looks lovely so I'm hoping it's a go.

A little background information -- we're a young married couple expecting our first child in March, so safety is a big concern.

Thank you!
I lived near there for two years. My apartment had field mice because it was so close but a friend who lived a block further away had none. It was a nice area when I lived there and I wouldn't think twice about it being a 'dead zone" as that makes it quieter. Some of the Courtyard buildings had people hanging out and busting open mailboxes in the hallways while others had no activity and no problems. This is all due to whom the Landlord/Management chooses to rent to, and how secure the outdoor lock/intercom is.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
That part of Uptown is one of the better portions. It is still not the best place in the world to live on the northside, but it is far from the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago