Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM

25 posts, read 41,900 times

Advertisements

Finally decided on Lincoln Park. Have found a pretty good deal near Armitage and Lincoln. The only problem is it is a semi-basement unit. I know LP is relatively safe, but any opinions/problems with that area and a basement unit (as far as safety, flooding, maybe bugs, etc)? Also, I will be taking a bus into the city a few times a week for night classes, I think it's pretty safe but I am I being naive?

Last, like I said, I think it's a pretty good deal...1bdr, parking space, all utilities-$1000. Is this a decent price for the area?

(Two 20-something females, btw)

Any info would be appreciated. Sorry for yet another LP thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Sounds okay to me. I don't garden units (which is what those kind of places are called in Chicago), but I've known people who live in them without any issues. I'd certainly be a lot more willing to rent one than buy one, since as a renter most issues aren't really your problem to fix.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
This is what we call a garden apartment. They are the easiest type of apartment to break into. Are there bars on the windows? If flooding were a recurring problem, there probably wouldn't be an apartment down there as the building owner would probably get tired of refurbishing every time it flooded.

Off-street parking alone in that area is worth about $200-250/mo. So $1000/mo sounds reasonable depending on the condition of the apartment, albeit on the high end of reasonable. Garden apartments usually carry about a $100/mo discount over a similar unit on a "normal" floor.

A word of caution about "all utilities included" buildings: what that usually means is that there's a central heating system for the entire building, and too often that means heating is very inconsistent from unit to unit. It could be that someone else's unit is a nice perfect 72 degrees in winter while your unit is 85 degrees or 65 degrees. After living in a couple such buildings, I refuse to ever again live in a unit where I don't have my own thermostat.

Lincoln Park is safe by big-city standards. But it is still "the big city" so be appropriately diligent. Coming home at night? Get some pepper spray and keep your finger on the trigger. Don't lose yourself in an "iPod bubble" while walking alone, esp. at night. If something doesn't "feel" right, trust your instincts. That sort of thing.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is what we call a garden apartment. They are the easiest type of apartment to break into. Are there bars on the windows? If flooding were a recurring problem, there probably wouldn't be an apartment down there as the building owner would probably get tired of refurbishing every time it flooded.

Off-street parking alone in that area is worth about $200-250/mo. So $1000/mo sounds reasonable depending on the condition of the apartment, albeit on the high end of reasonable. Garden apartments usually carry about a $100/mo discount over a similar unit on a "normal" floor.

A word of caution about "all utilities included" buildings: what that usually means is that there's a central heating system for the entire building, and too often that means heating is very inconsistent from unit to unit. It could be that someone else's unit is a nice perfect 72 degrees in winter while your unit is 85 degrees or 65 degrees. After living in a couple such buildings, I refuse to ever again live in a unit where I don't have my own thermostat.

Lincoln Park is safe by big-city standards. But it is still "the big city" so be appropriately diligent. Coming home at night? Get some pepper spray and keep your finger on the trigger. Don't lose yourself in an "iPod bubble" while walking alone, esp. at night. If something doesn't "feel" right, trust your instincts. That sort of thing.

Good points. While LP is safe, it's still the city and you never know when a person with bad intentions is walking around.
Is the entrance well exposed, meaning, you don't have to go through a dark gangway or alleyway to enter your place?
Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't want my daughter or girlfriend living in a garden apartment. They're just too easy to access and especially with two females coming home late at night, it's just not worth it.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the input.
I forgot to add that it is gated, not sure how much that helps; I'm also going to negotiate the price since it is a garden unit. Also has W/D in unit and cable/internet included.

Hmm, I don't know, I'm starting to get the impression from reading these forums that living in a high rise is the best option for young single females? I really like the place and price, am I really going to feel unsafe in the safest neighborhood in Chicago?

Just an add on, are there any differences in specific areas in Lincoln Park in terms of safety? I assumed being more east is better...not sure though.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
LP is not the safest nabe in Chicago at all much to popular thought

as for the apt, well it depends on the apt. There are plenty of crap holes and slum lords in lincoln park... maybe more so than other neighborhoods actually b/c they deal w/ a lot of college students who they can eff over.

I would not live in a garden apt, but that is just me... I like having more sunlight and being on a higher floor plus I've lived one before and the pipes busted in the winter, took like 2 months to replace the wood floors from the warped wood and water damage.

Just FYI. For 1000 you can probably get a much nicer place in Chicago but, if you have your heart set on Lincoln Park for some reason might not be able to talk you out of it. You could probably actually find something cheaper in Gold Coast/South Loop these days due to the condo glut.

Since it looks like you'd be starting a Jan 1 lease... definitely negotiate the price... very hard month to rent in.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychStudent22 View Post
Thanks for all the input.
I forgot to add that it is gated, not sure how much that helps; I'm also going to negotiate the price since it is a garden unit. Also has W/D in unit and cable/internet included.

Hmm, I don't know, I'm starting to get the impression from reading these forums that living in a high rise is the best option for young single females? I really like the place and price, am I really going to feel unsafe in the safest neighborhood in Chicago?

Just an add on, are there any differences in specific areas in Lincoln Park in terms of safety? I assumed being more east is better...not sure though.
OK, let's see... gated, W/D in-unit, all utilities thrown in including cable and internet, and off-street parking as the cherry on top..... yeah, I don't think you have a lot of room to negotiate the price. Not in Lincoln Park anyway. With all those goodies, the "garden apartment discount" is already built in to the asking price. If you don't take it, they'll have no problem finding someone who will unless it's a roachbox.

No part of Lincoln Park is particularly more or less safe/dangerous than the other. Whether or not you will feel unsafe in the safest neighborhood in Chicago will depend on your own risk tolerance.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No part of Lincoln Park is particularly more or less safe/dangerous than the other. Whether or not you will feel unsafe in the safest neighborhood in Chicago will depend on your own risk tolerance.
Lincoln Park is nowhere near the safest neighborhood in Chicago.

Quote:
Just an add on...
Lincoln Park is safer than many neighborhoods in some respects (like murder,assault) , but in other respects (like robbery,rape) your crime risk is higher than the safest neighborhoods of the city. You have to stay alert and not put yourself in situations where you are likely to be a victim. Walking home drunk and/or at late hours are examples of what to avoid doing.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Also, I will be taking a bus into the city a few times a week for night classes, I think it's pretty safe but I am I being naive?
Where are your classes at?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 AM

My classes are at Loyola Water Tower Campus.
I chose LP because it's close to campus, pop is similar to me (students/recent grads), and 'seemed' relatively safe.
The latest I would ever be out by myself is probably 10:30. Otherwise, always with a group.
I'm not a drinker, so there's that.

What neighborhoods are safer than LP and within a 2-3 mile radius of River North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: