Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM

29 posts, read 120,755 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I will be moving to Chicago next week for graduate school. I will be taking classes in the evening twice a week. I have been looking for job everywhere, craigslist and monster.com have been my main websites to find jobs but to no avail. Do you guys know of any companies in the Chicago/Streeterville Area or Evanston and pays decently ($1000-$2000 a month) for a graduate student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
If someone did know and they post it on here, thousands of other people are going to see it go out for the job. Odds are you will be out of luck.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
nope, welcome to Chicago, the current job market sucks, concentrate on your school or maybe add a class and finish faster, getting a job will be harder than getting an a.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:57 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
Hello all, I will be moving to Chicago next week for graduate school. I will be taking classes in the evening twice a week. I have been looking for job everywhere, craigslist and monster.com have been my main websites to find jobs but to no avail. Do you guys know of any companies in the Chicago/Streeterville Area or Evanston and pays decently ($1000-$2000 a month) for a graduate student?
A bit of background info would go a long way in helping people make suggestions.

Doesn't whatever university you're at have some sort of placement service?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
The odds are against you for finding a job. I only found a job here because I already had a degree and several years of experience in a certain field. There are opportunities out there for people with some experience but for entry level people it will be very difficult, but it could be done with enough networking and connections.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
This sort of depends on what kind of graduate student you are. You shouldn't have much trouble if you have some programming experience or some knowledge of finance. Also, your university can probably hook you up with something.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM

67 posts, read 182,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
I think there's some entry-level retail jobs at Water Tower Place. That's technically also Streeterville, right?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Depending on your wages, a job that makes $1,000-2,000/month could be a full time job. Will you have time for a full time job as well as graduate school? Over-extending yourself while in grad school by taking on more than you can handle can be the easiest way to flunk out, so if you do acquire a job working a lot of hours, make sure you can handle both the job and school.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Depending on your wages, a job that makes $1,000-2,000/month could be a full time job. Will you have time for a full time job as well as graduate school? Over-extending yourself while in grad school by taking on more than you can handle can be the easiest way to flunk out, so if you do acquire a job working a lot of hours, make sure you can handle both the job and school.
The best option might be for them to do a semester first and gauge how difficult the coursework is before committing to a job. They said Evanston, so I assume they'll be at Northwestern. The workload and difficulty at Northwestern is pretty rigorous...
The other option might be to take out additional loans and finish the program faster so they can start their actual career and not delay working some crap job that isn't going to benefit their career.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM

29 posts, read 120,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The best option might be for them to do a semester first and gauge how difficult the coursework is before committing to a job. They said Evanston, so I assume they'll be at Northwestern. The workload and difficulty at Northwestern is pretty rigorous...
The other option might be to take out additional loans and finish the program faster so they can start their actual career and not delay working some crap job that isn't going to benefit their career.
Your on the money, Im actually going to be taking classes 2 days a week (Monday and Thursday evenings, 6:00-9:30 ish) in Northwestern's downtown campus in Streeterville. I want a job so I can at least pay my monthly rent. I figured I have class twice a week and class doesn't start till the evening, why not work. I don't want to use loans to pay off rent when Im already using them to pay off tuition.

Lets be honest, I not asking to make teacher money. I just need an ok job for my position now. I have a college degree under my belt so I should at least find a job that can pay $1200-$2000 a month. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: