Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,177 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old male moving to Chicago from Charleston, SC for work. I will be working in Skokie off of Woods Dr. I would like to live in the city near a younger crowd (my age, young professionals) and with plenty of bars/restaurants in the area. I will be making between 60k-70k a year. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Are you prepared for hella traffic to drive to work?

Personally, I would live somewhere like Edgewater,Budlong Woods, or Lincoln Square so you do not have to necessarily take the expressway to work. However,these neighborhoods might not be exactly what you are looking for (in terms of age mostly.) If you live in Lincoln Park or the eastern part of Lake View, it will be a pain in the ass driving to Skokie. I used to do it at one of my past jobs and it is not fun.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 01-05-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM

How long of a drive was it for you? Also, knowing that I can work a flexible schedule, would trying to get to work by 7 help?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMirage View Post
How long of a drive was it for you? Also, knowing that I can work a flexible schedule, would trying to get to work by 7 help?
I was coming from Belmont and Western to Woods Drive. I was traveling about 12 miles. I was getting there at 9am and leaving at 5pm. It would take usually about an hour. Getting to work by 7 would help a bunch yes.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Ok so assuming I am willing to put up with the drive, what are your recommendations and why?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
The closer south and east (i.e. downtown and to the lake) means parking becomes more expensive. If you live in a highrise, parking could be an extra $200 per month. If you live in a place with a more neighborhood feel, you could get away with street parking with a city permit, providing you live on a quiet street.

Your options for great nightlife as as mid 20s single young professional are Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, and downtown (River North). Bucktown and Wicker Park are close by as well and are on the near NW side.

The most non native young professionals tend to live in Lakeview, Wrigleyville (which is part of Lakeview technically), and Lincoln Park. Lakeview is cheaper than Lincoln Park. Same with Wrigleyville. Though Lincoln Park is closer to downtown.

I would avoid Rogers Park, Uptown, and Edgewater since they aren't the most nightlife and young professional oriented neighborhoods. Living in Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, or Lakeview will add 15 minutes to your commute each way, nothing major.

You could hop on Western Avenue from wherever you live and get to Skokie if the expressway is jammed. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Tough to say.

Wrigleyville and Lakeview tend to be the fresh out of college crowd, Lincoln Park is more of a mix between college students due to DePaul and then mid to late twenties and early thirties nightlife. Downtown is late twenties and early thirties young professionals. This is all general observations, obviously each neighborhood is more diverse than that.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM

818 posts, read 2,172,466 times
For parking considerations, I would consider the areas a little bit West of Wrigelyville along the brown line- say near the Southport or Paulina stops.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
For parking considerations, I would consider the areas a little bit West of Wrigelyville along the brown line- say near the Southport or Paulina stops.
So in other words,West Lake View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago