Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
Wow- lots of feedback since yesterday!

To clarify some comments/questions that I saw:

1. Work- We currently work in Arl hts but plan to change that next year. Hopefully will be working in the city, but that's up in the air. I'm a musician and my husband is studying to be a teacher so our options of city vs burbs are fairly open. He goes to school downtown at the moment.

2. "commuting to AH" - as mentioned in #1 , we won't have that "commute". We will simply be visiting family and friends. So it's nice to have access to the Irving Metra (NW Pacific Line). Needless to say, I'm already familiar with the commute from the city to AH- no need for feedback on that, but thanks

3. Some of you mentioned Edison Park- also looking at that area. However, I wonder....if I'm going to be that much on the outskirts of the main city, is it worth the move? But I have heard very good things about EP!

4. Nightlife - we are "foodies" - love good quality dining and having a variety of it nearby. So forgive me, but I highly prefer restaurants with better quality than say a Giordanos (nothing agst them, just the first place i thought of listed here!) One thing we loved about Lakeview was the great variety of sushi, thai, italian, wine bars, etc...

Thanks again everyone! I also want info on Wicker Park/Logan Square- but I'll make that a separate post to keep this one one track.
Edison Park.... it's a place to live if you want an inner-suburban experience but either your pride or your job requires that you have a 606XX ZIP code. Nice neighborhood -- borderline great neighborhood -- but I suspect it leans a little bit more toward the "suburban" side of the combined "urban/suburban" experience you seem to be looking for, especially as disconnected as it is from the rest of the urban vibe that Chicago has to offer.

Wicker Park and Logan Square, on the other hand, IMO leans a little more toward the "urban" side of the ledger of what you seem to be after. These are rather dense urban environments, and portions of Logan Square (particularly the portion west of Milwaukee Avenue) have some pretty serious gang/crime issues.

Irving Park has a handful of renowned foodie destinations such as Smoque (barbecue), Arun's (high-end Thai), Brasa Roja (a mini-chain of Colombian charcuteries), El Llano (run by the same folks who run the Brasa Roja and a tiny bit more up-market), Thai Aree, Cousin's Incredible Vitality (vegan Thai), Afghan Kabob (arguably in Albany Park but close enough), La Oaxaqueña (the best "gringos be damned" Mexican restaurant on the Northwest side and the most underrated too), Little Bucharest (Romanian), Shokran (Moroccan), D'Candela (Peruvian), Mirabell (German), and Ruby's Fast Food (Filipino). It's also within easy striking distance of several nearby foodie destinations including Hot Doug's (super-gourmet sausages), Pork Shoppe (barbecue), Longman & Eagle (contemporary American), Kuma's Corner (upscale burgers), Urban Belly (casual Korean/noodle), Dragon Lady Lounge (vegan Korean), Ay Ay Picante (Peruvian), and numerous well-regarded Thai restaurants in the neighboring North Center and Lincoln Square areas.

Now, I take "foodie" to mean "we like good food at most any price point as long as it's tasty and well-prepared" rather than merely "this is fit for the bourgeois or those with bourgeois aspirations." In that case... long story short, as a foodie you might feel underwhelmed by Irving Park if you expect to have a whole bunch of foodie joints lined up all in a row for your ease and comfort. But if you're willing to explore the neighborhood and adjoining neighborhoods, there's a metric ton of really solid options in or near Irving Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Drover is spot on. Edison Park might as well BE in Park Ridge -- really not nearly as diverse / vibrant as Irving Park / Lincoln Square. It really boils down to what sorts of trade offs you need / want. The city workers forced to maintain addresses inside the kingdom are not as diverse as the folks that cluster together in other neighborhoods by choice...

Toss in the fact you don't need to think about schools and the flexibility of living wherever you are brave enough gives you much more flexibility that average.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Irving Park has a handful of renowned foodie destinations such as Smoque (barbecue), Arun's (high-end Thai), Brasa Roja (a mini-chain of Colombian charcuteries), El Llano (run by the same folks who run the Brasa Roja and a tiny bit more up-market), Thai Aree, Cousin's Incredible Vitality (vegan Thai), Afghan Kabob (arguably in Albany Park but close enough), La Oaxaqueña (the best "gringos be damned" Mexican restaurant on the Northwest side and the most underrated too), Little Bucharest (Romanian), Shokran (Moroccan), D'Candela (Peruvian), Mirabell (German), and Ruby's Fast Food (Filipino). It's also within easy striking distance of several nearby foodie destinations including Hot Doug's (super-gourmet sausages), Pork Shoppe (barbecue), Longman & Eagle (contemporary American), Kuma's Corner (upscale burgers), Urban Belly (casual Korean/noodle), Dragon Lady Lounge (vegan Korean), Ay Ay Picante (Peruvian), and numerous well-regarded Thai restaurants in the neighboring North Center and Lincoln Square areas.

Now, I take "foodie" to mean "we like good food at most any price point as long as it's tasty and well-prepared" rather than merely "this is fit for the bourgeois or those with bourgeois aspirations." In that case... long story short, as a foodie you might feel underwhelmed by Irving Park if you expect to have a whole bunch of foodie joints lined up all in a row for your ease and comfort. But if you're willing to explore the neighborhood and adjoining neighborhoods, there's a metric ton of really solid options in or near Irving Park.

Man, I almost forgot about a few of those mentioned. I'd also like to add McNamara's. Many people hate it, but I love it.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM

McNamara's is actually a favorite spot for the wife and me. I just didn't mention it because it's not really a "foodie" destination even though it does its everyday, no-frills, non-exotic dishes quite well.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 27,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Man, I almost forgot about a few of those mentioned. I'd also like to add McNamara's. Many people hate it, but I love it.
Love McNamara's!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Drover is spot on. Edison Park might as well BE in Park Ridge -- really not nearly as diverse / vibrant as Irving Park / Lincoln Square. It really boils down to what sorts of trade offs you need / want. The city workers forced to maintain addresses inside the kingdom are not as diverse as the folks that cluster together in other neighborhoods by choice...

Toss in the fact you don't need to think about schools and the flexibility of living wherever you are brave enough gives you much more flexibility that average.

I have to agree with this. But for us, that's part of what attracts us to the neighborhood. If children weren't part of the equation, we'd go more into the city.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is a shame what is happening to Portage Park. It really is.

I agree. When I was a kid, it was such an awesome neighborhood. I always felt safe, and there really weren't major issues. Not so much anymore. Lots of gang bangers causing trouble, and not the same "friendly neighbor" attitude that used to be.

My brother got jumped walking 3 blocks one night. Hit in the face with a brick! I know that it can happen anywhere, but that kind of thing seems to be happening much more frequently in recent years....such a shame.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRNMom View Post
I have to agree with this. But for us, that's part of what attracts us to the neighborhood. If children weren't part of the equation, we'd go more into the city.
Except Edison Park is not Park Ridge. The houses are typically less expensive, the taxes are less expensive, and Edison Park has more bars and restaurants than Park Ridge. So if you're brave enough and you won't feel trapped in the Kingdom, I say Edison Park is a fine choice.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Cousin's Incredible Vitality (vegan Thai)
Actually, I thought Cousin's was vegan Middle Eastern. Unless it's changed since the last time I was there.

You also didn't mention Mi Ciudad, which is an Ecuadorian restaurant in eastern Irving Park.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRNMom View Post
Ah, children... yeah, that changes the dimension of the discussion a little. The schools in and around Irving Park.... not so great. Shurz High School in particular is a den of vipers. Look out by Oriole Park/Norwood Park or even Park Ridge if you can find a place near the Blue Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago