Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,561 times

Advertisements

Help please! I am a young single professional looking to move in to River North, budget is up to/around 2000, need parking, I would really appreciate any referrals of buildings that you know people have been living in and happy with! sorry if this is a redundant post, any information helps! recommended many places, had my friend see some (as i'm doing this search from california), but so far flair towers seems to be the best....not impressed with the layout....THANKS! (lookin to move in June 15th)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,472 times
Too be honest there are so many buildings in River North and I don't think a ton of people that post here have lived there. I'm sure a couple people might be able to give some insight but I think it's probably best to look around and if you find a place you like do some research. You can usually find reviews for a complex just by throwing the name into google or searching yelp.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Most of us who post here have not lived in River North. I've had a few friends that did. The newer buildings have better amenities (modern kitchen, gym, game room, pool, etc.) but the older buildings have bigger and more spacious apartments.

I have heard good things about Grand Plaza. It has a LOT of young professionals and has a lot of single women in their 20s and 30s so you know it's a safe building.

Parking can be expensive so if that's a factor, make sure to ask. It does get frigid in Chicago in winter so if you like to work out, might be worth it to go to a building that has a gym in it.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM

excellent thanks so much, so far some buildings i've narrowed down to are oakwood, park huron, huron plaza, plaza 440, envy, 200 squared and will look into grand plaza

also if anyone has information on streeterville, i heard left bank at k station, escheleon at k station and aqua/tides/shoreham are great places to consider.

Since it will be cold i'm definitely looking at places with gyms in the building, and parking of course.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonz99 View Post
excellent thanks so much, so far some buildings i've narrowed down to are oakwood, park huron, huron plaza, plaza 440, envy, 200 squared and will look into grand plaza

also if anyone has information on streeterville, i heard left bank at k station, escheleon at k station and aqua/tides/shoreham are great places to consider.

Since it will be cold i'm definitely looking at places with gyms in the building, and parking of course.
Do you need a car? Do you need one for work? If not, you very well may not need one at all and you may find paying $200+ a month for parking on top of whatever other costs you have from owning a car to be money you could use instead for taxis or Zipcar.

Also, Chicago is not LA. In LA, the average transit rider earns about half of the area average income. In Chicago, the average transit rider earns about 1% more than the area average income - in other words everyone, across demographics, rides transit here. Add in convenient taxis and Zipcar, and having a car is only a necessity (particularly in River North) if you need one for work. I haven't owned a car in Chicago for 12 years, and I've averaged six figure income for the past 10 of those years, and I've lived in River North for 7 years now, so it's something to consider.

Other than amenities, what do you want as far as lifestyle? If you're really planning to drive everywhere anyway, then frankly I don't see the point of living in River North. Even if you have parking at home, you won't have free parking in many possible destinations so you'll either limit yourself to destinations with free parking, or you'll pay a lot for parking, or you'll leave your car at home and end up taking a taxi anyway. One advantage to Grand Plaza is that it has a grocery store in the first floor, and is literally over a subway station to Chicago's busiest line.

I kinda think you should take a weekend and fly into Chicago to check out places in person - you'll get a much better feel for the area and be able to get a feel for the prospective properties.

Flair Tower is 1 block from my place. It's adjacent to "L" tracks, but probably has been built with good sound insulation (new construction next to the "L" usually is). None of its retail spaces have been leased yet, though. I live on Huron Street, so I'm just a few blocks from Parc Huron and Huron Plaza. Oakwood is also on Huron Street, a little over a block from me. It seems pretty sterile. I think it's overpriced, personally, although it's only 1 block from Whole Foods. 1 W Superior is the building Whole Foods is actually in (the building takes up the whole block). Env is a nice looking building, and right next to an "L" station and just across the river from the Loop. I saw their prices and I think it's overpriced, but if you must have sleek new construction, it is quite a nice looking building and conveniently located.

If you are planning to drive a lot of places, then the Left Bank (I'd call it River West) places you mentioned (K Station, etc) might be a good choice. The area they're in isn't quite as developed as most of River North, but it has good access to the highway and the rest of downtown via car, or bike, and walking isn't out of the question. It's only a few blocks away from the Blue Line Grand/Halsted subway stop, or the Clinton Green Line stop, or the 8/Halsted bus that runs to Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM

you make an excellent point about the car, thank you.....I will be commuting to Rush University Medical center in the medical district, so will need a car to commute back and forth because my shifts will be unpredictable and for those ending late I wouldnt want to rely on public transportion. However other than that I would prefer not to have to drive my car everywhere but it isnt too realistic to expect the post office, grocery store, etc to be all right next to my building (or is it?) It is appealing that grand plaza is so close to public transportation in case i need it, and the grocery store in the building is definitely convenient, as with the weather being cold convenience will definitely be important. Thanks so much for your suggestions, do you have an opinion on mcclurg court? seems to be not overpriced and in the area...thank you!

also forgot to add, as far as amenities i dont require much, mainly just gym and laundry in the building, i dont care for a pool/basketball court/wine cellar.....all this extra nonsense

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonz99 View Post
you make an excellent point about the car, thank you.....I will be commuting to Rush University Medical center in the medical district, so will need a car to commute back and forth because my shifts will be unpredictable and for those ending late I wouldnt want to rely on public transportion. However other than that I would prefer not to have to drive my car everywhere but it isnt too realistic to expect the post office, grocery store, etc to be all right next to my building (or is it?) It is appealing that grand plaza is so close to public transportation in case i need it, and the grocery store in the building is definitely convenient, as with the weather being cold convenience will definitely be important. Thanks so much for your suggestions, do you have an opinion on mcclurg court? seems to be not overpriced and in the area...thank you!
McClurg is older, but near several grocery stores, a post office, a large movie theatre, and closer to the Lake than River North is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago