Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I only mentioned the northeast part of Avondale as it is really convenient for pedestrians as you have Target, all the stores in Addison Mall, good bars/restaurants (ie. Kumas, Pork Shoppe, Orbit Room, Sqaure, Chief O'Neils), Jewel, Home Depot, Kmart, Chase Bank, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, CVS, a chipotle coming soon, Best Buy, Aldi, a new X-sport Fitness coming to Belmont and the expressway, reasonable walking distance to both the Addison and Belmont Blue line stops (from Roscoe and Elston it's about 10 minute walk to the Belmont and 13-15 minute walk to Addison), all of these are very convenient by foot if you live in the northeast part of Avondale. You also have a lot more park access in the northeast part of Avondale. However, Belmont and Kimball is also pretty good. I think once you get past Central Park it starts to get so-so and worse as continue west.
I hear ya - I guess I'm just super-lazy when it comes to wanting a short walk to the train. I actually love to walk & bike, but in the morning, every minute seems to count, especially since the addition of a small monkey to the household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
I'm guessing you're sorted out with your living situation by now but I'll weigh in anyhow for the sake of anyone still on the hunt. I think a little fine tuning from a resident of Avondale with respect to the acceptable borders is in order.

I currently live off of Avers and Roscoe. This is west of Central Park, just east of Pulaski. It is between Addison and Belmont. This whole part of the neighborhood is practically suburban in terms of its composition. Its all Latin and Eastern European families. It is a very short walk to the Addison Blue line station. I take the walk every day and it is secure. I'd say the whole neighborhood is safe.

I would not recommend the same basic area just below Belmont. I walk east from on Belmont from my neighborhood to get to my spots (believe it or not there are some pretty righteous places on this stretch). I've seen more than a few guys not acting right, including a couple episodes of violence south of Belmont. Nothing crazy, but not something you'd want to have to live with.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigusername View Post
I'm guessing you're sorted out with your living situation by now but I'll weigh in anyhow for the sake of anyone still on the hunt. I think a little fine tuning from a resident of Avondale with respect to the acceptable borders is in order.

I currently live off of Avers and Roscoe. This is west of Central Park, just east of Pulaski. It is between Addison and Belmont. This whole part of the neighborhood is practically suburban in terms of its composition. Its all Latin and Eastern European families. It is a very short walk to the Addison Blue line station. I take the walk every day and it is secure. I'd say the whole neighborhood is safe.

I would not recommend the same basic area just below Belmont. I walk east from on Belmont from my neighborhood to get to my spots (believe it or not there are some pretty righteous places on this stretch). I've seen more than a few guys not acting right, including a couple episodes of violence south of Belmont. Nothing crazy, but not something you'd want to have to live with.
Yeah, I like those extra-large parkways, it definitely lends a nice feeling to the area.

But I know plenty of people living in that stretch below Belmont who haven't had any problems.

It all depends on the person in question, if you're street smart, familiar with the city, and not an active participant in or client of the local "youth organizations," this area is not all that bad.

If you are moving here from Winetka, Iowa City or Bucktown/Lincoln Park, this may not be the right place for you.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Drive through a neighborhood at night during the summer if you really want to get a feel for what's going on around there. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Drive through a neighborhood at night during the summer if you really want to get a feel for what's going on around there. You'll figure it out pretty quick.
On a Friday or Saturday, preferably (and I'd suggest walking), as that will be the loudest/most active an area is going to get.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Is anywhere in Logan Square, Avondale, or Irving Park that bad? I don't think women generally need to feel afraid walking around there.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Is anywhere in Logan Square, Avondale, or Irving Park that bad? I don't think women generally need to feel afraid walking around there.
I don't know about Irving, but Avondale and Logan Square's far west and southwest areas still have some pockets of hard-core problem people. The good news is that when you live in such an area and such folks recognize you as a neighbor (and as one that can ID them) they tend to leave you alone.

But I wouldn't recommend stumbling/taking shortcuts between the 3800 - 4000 W. blocks between Armitage and Fullerton if you don't know the area, and same thing in Avondale in the zone bordered by Milwaukee, Belmont, Central Park & Pulaski.

These aren't wild west constant drive-by areas, but you can definitely run into some shady folks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago