Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
of course if you really want to start a tussle why not mention what burbs close to the south side to avoid
That's like rubbing urza216's genie lamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyMayfield View Post
Believe it or not, I'm actually going to print this info out and carry it with me!
Go right ahead and do that. I should mention though that I was kind of thinking in terms of which places to avoid living in. Some places are OK during the day like Gresham and Marquette Park and maybe South Shore, particularly if you stick to the business areas or stick with someone who lives in the neighborhood. Some of the white parts of the south side are OK to wander around in even if you happen to be melanin-enhanced. If that describes you, you should best not plan on spending much quality time in Mt. Greenwood and particularly Canaryville.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Free your mind!

Quote:
Wow, really surprised that no one has helped me out yet...Is anybody familiar with the Southside here?
If you just moved here and wanted to familiarize yourself with the city I would not cross off any areas. Just visit in the daytime, possibly by car, of the areas frequented by your associates. Buy a guide to the city. Think outside the box.

Your posting seems suspicious because you ask what areas to avoid on the south side. Whatever would make you eschew certain areas there certainly is also present in north and west side locales.

I have found that it is far more productive to determine attractions in a large city then to try to identify places to avoid. I should mention also that I have friends and businesses I frequent in all the areas cited as places to stay away from. But that's me.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM

90 posts, read 246,729 times
Stay away from every were beside Hyde park and mckinly park. The rest of it I wouldn't call safe and definitally wouldn't live there.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM

32 posts, read 69,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
If you just moved here and wanted to familiarize yourself with the city I would not cross off any areas. Just visit in the daytime, possibly by car, of the areas frequented by your associates. Buy a guide to the city. Think outside the box.

Your posting seems suspicious because you ask what areas to avoid on the south side. Whatever would make you eschew certain areas there certainly is also present in north and west side locales.

I have found that it is far more productive to determine attractions in a large city then to try to identify places to avoid. I should mention also that I have friends and businesses I frequent in all the areas cited as places to stay away from. But that's me.
Maybe my question did look suspicious, but I can't really help that. It was just a question that I needed some answers to. The reason why I asked about the Southside is because a cousin of mine told me to stay away from there. That doesn't mean that I'm always gonna avoid going into the Southside at all costs. I simply wanted to know what areas of the Southside Chicagoans thought I should steer clear of.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Maybe my question did look suspicious, but I can't really help that. It was just a question that I needed some answers to. The reason why I asked about the Southside is because a cousin of mine told me to stay away from there. That doesn't mean that I'm always gonna avoid going into the Southside at all costs. I simply wanted to know what areas of the Southside Chicagoans thought I should steer clear of.
If you are not going into areas looking for trouble, you shouldnt have a problem with any of the neighborhoods. there is not a neighborhood in Chicago or a suburb that I am not in all the time, and never have had an issue. I even for a period of time lived in one the neighborhoods that people on here say to avoid, and not once did I ever have an incident, or anything happen that would make me fearful.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

57 posts, read 66,848 times
There are parts of the Southside that have a large amount of gang related crimes, usually murder. Englewood comes to most people's minds because that is what they like to play up on the news and it's really concentrated there.
I have lived all over the Southside and have never seen a murder, been shot at, carjacked, raped, strongarmed, beat up,harassed, or pissed my pants in fear. I have had my home broken into once while I was out. Of course, this does not happen anywhere else in Chicago.

Where you would steer clear of depends on a lot of factors much like any other choices we make in life. What are you looking to do? Visit sights? Live?

Don't post here and think that the answers you get are valid, relevant, or even based in reality. They are opinions and opinions are only as good as their source.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
...why I asked about the Southside is because a cousin of mine told me to stay away from there. ...
Yes, there are areas of Chicago to avoid, but I wouldn't over think the whole situation either, you will *know* instinctively if you're in an area to avoid, quickly. I wouldn't worry, you'll probably have no reason to go there anyway, and thus, you won't.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Last weekend I found myself at 71st and Wabash, late at night... what an eyeful... what neighborhood are is that?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Last weekend I found myself at 71st and Wabash, late at night... what an eyeful... what neighborhood are is that?
That would be Park Manor. And yeah, that particular intersection doesn't look so hot. But go about two blocks east, get off the main drag and head south down the residential streets and it's basically manicured bungalow-belt, albeit with a distressingly high crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago