Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Wow. Just wow. I can't imagine the life experiences of someone who thinks that. I wonder if they also think that sitting out on your porch with your neighborhoods is also ghetto. Its amazing some people in this world.
Yeah, I've actually met a number of people who have that attitude. I have family in Carmel IN and their neighborhood association comes up with the craziest rules - some members pushed for a requirement that all cars have to be in a garage. They actually banned vegetable gardens because they look "trashy".

Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yeah, I've actually met a number of people who have that attitude. I have family in Carmel IN and their neighborhood association comes up with the craziest rules - some members pushed for a requirement that all cars have to be in a garage. They actually banned vegetable gardens because they look "trashy".
Wow, you can't have vegetable garden? Another reason to never live down there.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Heh, my FIL lives in Carmel. That place makes my skin crawl. Makes Barrington seem positively inviting to all by comparison.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh, my FIL lives in Carmel. That place makes my skin crawl. Makes Barrington seem positively inviting to all by comparison.
Homeowners associations are just ridiculous, and there always seems to be at least one would-be nazi in the bunch. To me, a homeowners association flies in the face of the legal rights and privileges of property ownership. You're going to tell me that I can't grow a vegetable garden on my property? Eff you!
Obviously I've had issues in the past with HOA's in case you couldn't tell.

Now, on the other hand, as I survey the sea of empty Cheetos bags littering the ground of my neighborhood and yard, I wonder if a little HOA action wouldn't be a good idea around here...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Thats borderline creepy. Like Stepford Wives.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Thats borderline creepy. Like Stepford Wives.
Nope, that's suburban Indy.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
There is a thread in the real estate forum right now where some people think that leaving your own car sitting in your own driveway instead of the garage is trashy/ghetto. After reading that level of madness, I can't even get offended anymore when something is described as ghetto. It could be coming from someone completely off their rocker.
I know that in Lakewood, Ohio -- a very densely-populated Cleveland suburb -- some of the newcomers put upholstered furniture out on their front porches, and many of the oldtimers are upset because they think that is trashy and ghetto.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
That's borderline creepy. Like Stepford Wives.
It is pretty creepy. It's mostly driven by a small group of stay at home moms who just wander the neighborhood talking about things they don't like, and if they control the board they pass a regulation about it. They set board meetings for mid day on weekdays to try and keep most people from attending. Control of the board keeps flip flopping from them to some sane people who rescind the crazy regulations. After the craziness subsides people forget about the board and stop attending meetings. Then these women pack a meeting and take over again. At one point they said that garage doors could only be white and picked out 10 approved house colors.

There are loads of crazy stories like this around the country. I follow a number of BBQ boards and there are frequently posts about HOAs that have banned outdoor grilling. There is actually an organized national group that is trying to ban the burning of anything outdoors.

I have a couple friends here in Chicago that are in similar situations with their condo boards.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
It is pretty creepy. It's mostly driven by a small group of stay at home moms who just wander the neighborhood talking about things they don't like, and if they control the board they pass a regulation about it. They set board meetings for mid day on weekdays to try and keep most people from attending. Control of the board keeps flip flopping from them to some sane people who rescind the crazy regulations. After the craziness subsides people forget about the board and stop attending meetings. Then these women pack a meeting and take over again. At one point they said that garage doors could only be white and picked out 10 approved house colors.

There are loads of crazy stories like this around the country. I follow a number of BBQ boards and there are frequently posts about HOAs that have banned outdoor grilling. There is actually an organized national group that is trying to ban the burning of anything outdoors.

I have a couple friends here in Chicago that are in similar situations with their condo boards.
Okay, I'm not moving to the burbs now! I need my charcoal fix at least once a month.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, you can't have vegetable garden? Another reason to never live down there.
wow..... the trash talking is getting old and boring. Just for a comparison the city of Carmels per capita income being 85,000. Just cause Carmel is a rich suburb doesnt mean you need to trash talk it. Naperville for a comparison. Poverty rate is the same for both suburbs. the Per Capita income in Naperville is 48,000. Carmels is 85,000.
So the trash talking can stop for good cause honestly i am tired of it so are most people in Chicago i bet/everyone in Indy an carmel.
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas this is the latest unemployment numbers for metro areas and to save people wanting to read it some time Indy's metro area unemployment is 8% chicago's is 10.2%. If you want to point out Chicago is 4X bigger than Indy actually that is a bad thing for Chicago just using simple math. The unemployment numbers are given by a percentage and if Chicago has 2.2% higher unemployment percentage yet the metro is 4X bigger than Indy has an extra 2200 people working per 100,000 people. So please ill ask nicely stop trash talking Indy and its suburbs in public to try and make Chicago look like the 800 pound gurrilla (which it already is so idk what your trying to win).

So please vlagos just stop with the trash talking. I am not trash talking chicago on the Indy forums so theres no reason for you to do it either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago