Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Need more! If I meet one more person from Michigan....
I hear ya on that...so much of Chicago's diversity is Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, southern Illinois...If I meet another artist or writer from Iowa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
No Kamms this decision will be to move permantly I want to contribute to the community not just in work. The only downside is that I will have to wait 5 years after getting a green card to become a US citizen (but as they say good things comes to those who wait). Once I move to the States there will be no turning back to oz. I keep up to date with what is going on in America and this decision is not taken lightly.
You'll do fine wherever you end up moving to in the U.S.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,624 times
As a white native English speaker, you will not be viewed as a "real" foreigner. Your accent will be viewed positively.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
In my experience most Europeans who visit certainly like Chicago, but I would imagine most wind up in NY...it's just that much more exciting. Most come wanting to 'do' America for a few years and Chicago while great is not NY. That's been my experience anyway.

Obviously Australians are not Europeans but same difference.

LA...meh...
LOL at Australians being Europeans lol. Someone actually said that lol.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Wasn't Australia originally a penal colony for the Brits?
I think so...I heard t was where they sent the less desirable during the British empire times.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM

425 posts, read 995,427 times
I moved to Chicago from Australia when I was 30. I loved it, and for the most part, the locals loved me - just be prepared for people to ask you *often* if you are from England

Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 AM

112 posts, read 363,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I think so...I heard t was where they sent the less desirable during the British empire times.
Yes I am a decendant of those "less desirable" convicts on the first fleet! The crime wasnt for stealing hankies or bread. Oh no my ancestor when he committed a crime he went all out "Highway Robbery" yes stand and deliver!!!!! Though you will be relived to know that crime does NOT run in the family!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
As a white native English speaker, you will not be viewed as a "real" foreigner. Your accent will be viewed positively.
This. Any animus (fair or unfair - I'd argue the latter) that Chicagoans have toward dark skinned foreigners who speak an unfamiliar language will not be directed to you.

Australian accents are said to be a chick magnet. (Translation: attractor of females.)

Welcome to Chicago. CAUTION - someone said there are plenty of Aussies here. There are relatively few.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 AM

124 posts, read 219,694 times
Me and all my friends and family are perfectly fine with foreigners coming to America. We have first through fourth and fifth generation Americans in our family. The only thing I can say is what peeve's my family and friends off about foreigners are the people who come here and then segregate themselves into an ethnic community and (99% of the time) only associate and what not with them.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times
Yeah, my boss is actually from New Zealand. There are a lot more brits and aussies running around this joint than you would think, you just don't know it by looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: