Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 41,392 times

Advertisements

How does one grocery shop? Are there full service stores or should I expect to be going to a couple of places to get the things I need (meat/veggies/ canned and boxed goods)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
Don't know what you mean by "downtown", but there are several large full-service grocery stores in the South Loop, West Loop, and River North, but not in the Loop itself: Jewel stores at Roosevelt/Wabash and State/Grand, and Dominick's stores at Madison/Halsted, Columbus/Grand, and Roosevelt/Canal.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
There's also a Trader Joe's on Ontario and Treasure Islands on Elm and... Chicago, maybe? Or Huron? Both the TI's are over by Lakeshore. There's also a Potash Bros on State north of Chicago.

None of those are in the loop. More River North-Mag Mile-Gold Coast. Still, they should do. Plus there's a Costco in the city (not the burbs) at Damen and Clybourn, so you can stock up with ease.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
I know people are going to hate me for suggesting this, but I have friends that live on Madison and Jefferson and what they do is get a bunch of people together and all drive out to the burbs in a pick up truck and hit up Sam's Club and Super-Wal Mart and STOCK up big time. That way they don't have to pay the exsorbenant Chicago prices and taxes to buy stuff in small quantities.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Well you see, I might be getting a job in the Northbrook. I'm trying to decided if i wan't to try "downtown" living, or say in lincoln square, or the burbs. So I was wondering if I was living downtown, how long would it take me to hit a full service grocery store, or at least somewhere where I could get meat, veggies and canned goods from.

We are from Michigan in the burbs so we are used to only having about a 20 minute to a super-walmart or Meijer or Bushes (etc).

Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
i still think you need to specify what you mean by "downtown". most city dwellers interpret that as the Loop, which while gaining some residential options, is still primarily a central business district w/o many places to live (youd be looking at the south and west loop for the most part, which are both booming). now if you ask a suburbanite from shaumburg what downtown means, they'll prob just tell you "chicago". so i think thats why some people are pushing you for more of an explanation on what area youre specifically looking at.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Hrm, you know good question via chicago! I was assuming there would be places to live in the loop (not to say I was aiming there, just using it as a frame of reference). I guess another good question would be "where are good places to live"?

We have seen stuff in the south loop that looks good, some a bit north (can't remember locale off the top of my head) and we also some stuff in the "art district" that look pretty cool. One fellow at work said his buddy lived in Lincoln Square and he really enjoyed it.

We are looking for somewhere that would offer up food, shops and entertainment and cta/metra station close by.

The art district sounded like it might be pretty rich with interesting things? anyone have input on that? and how "safe" it is?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Do what I do and buy all of your groceries and stuff online. I pay $5.95 for delivery and they bring it right into your kitchen. No contract, no membership fees, great organic selection, wonderful meat, poultry and fish. They accept store coupons and aside from food, sell liquor, toiletries, BBQ supplies, postage stamps, cleaning supplies, pet supplies, - basically everything. If I put their name on here I think it will be omitted due to the no advertising policy of this website. Send me a private message if you want to know the website.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:28 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchewie View Post
Well you see, I might be getting a job in the Northbrook. I'm trying to decided if i wan't to try "downtown" living, or say in lincoln square, or the burbs. So I was wondering if I was living downtown, how long would it take me to hit a full service grocery store, or at least somewhere where I could get meat, veggies and canned goods from.

We are from Michigan in the burbs so we are used to only having about a 20 minute to a super-walmart or Meijer or Bushes (etc).

Yes, there are grocery stores (Jewel, Dominics, Trader Joes, Whole Foods) everywhere in the city..... The bigger concern for me would be downtown to Northbrook commute!?!?!?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchewie View Post

Here is the best advice for you. BUY YOUR STUFF WHEN YOU GO HOME FROM WORK! That way you can hit the suburban stores on your way home which have lower prices than in the city and you can save money. I think there are Wal-Marts and Sams Clubs around Northbrook, at least the last time I was up there there were. Just realize you will have to drive out to work about once a month. Another idea is to use Jewel/Osco's Peapod. Peapod Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago