Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM

818 posts, read 2,172,466 times

Advertisements

I would also charchterize the Northwest and Southwest sides as being somewhat distinct from the other three sides of the city. Both the Northwest and Southwest sides tend to be middle class areas, while most of the North side is wealthy and most of the West side in between is poor. Likewise, crime rates on the Northwest and Southwest sides are lower than the West side, but higher than the North side in general. However, I should note that the safest neighborhoods in the city are on the far Northwest sides (Norwood Park/ Eddison Park). As far as transportation, I think it is easier to get around without a car (via taxi/ public transportation) on the North side, but easier to drive places on the South side, where there tends to be less traffic.

However, everything on the list is very neighborhood dependent. No matter what side of the city you are on, it generally gets less dense as you move outward from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
the safest neighborhoods in the city are on the far Northwest sides (Norwood Park/ Eddison Park).
The far southwest neighborhoods are, I would guess, similarly low, as the homes are owned - overwhelmingly - by chicago law enforcement and fire fighters.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I wonder if the OP understands there are a 1000 neighborhoods in Chicago and he is asking questions on about half of them?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I wonder if the OP understands there are a 1000 neighborhoods in Chicago and he is asking questions on about half of them?
I thought Chicao only had around 77 neighborhoods?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM

71 posts, read 92,186 times
North side= good
NW side= good
West side= total crap hole
SW side= so so
South side= crap hole but not as crappy as west side
SE side= crappy but less crappy than the south side or west side (heavy industry and bad air in the summer)
NE side= Very wet!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I thought Chicao only had around 77 neighborhoods?
Those are community areas. Very different. Of course, I have no idea if the 1000 neighborhood thing is right.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^Wikipedia says more than 200 (or less -- they have Lake View listed twice, I see). It might be a bit higher than that, but 1,000 is certainly a stretch.

Neighborhoods in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

818 posts, read 2,172,466 times
I think the OP was just asking a general question about how to think of parts of the city. Although there are over 1,000 neighborhoods and 77 community areas, some people like to have it simplified even more depending on their purposes. So, it would help to say something general like "The north side is the richest, the NW and SW sides tend to be more middle class, mostly safe, the west side is the worst overall, and the south side has some really bad areas too, but also some areas that are not as bad." Kind of a simple two line summary of the cityscape for someone new to or visiting the city.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

17 posts, read 29,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageperson View Post
Traditionally, how do the 3 sides compare in terms
of condominium prices, shopping, transportation,
safety, crime, gangs and also in the overall appearance of each area?

For example, which of the sides is more wooded
with parks and trees?
Which of the sides are more industrial and commercial?

I already know what the "Loop" area is like.

I am aware that Chicago has some significant segregation issues.
How would each side compare in
terms of whites, blacks, hispanic, asians?

I am a minority so this is not a racist question.
Which areas have the largest "Gay" populations?

Which side used to be the most desirable say 10 years
ago and which side would be considered the most in
demand at this time?

Obviously, I am from out of town and only have a
limited knowledge of the Chicago metro area.
Thank You!!!

right. north,south,and west with no eastside and a little sugar in its tank. yep. theres your answer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago