Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

I am calling BS on this article and it's numbers. I know NYC is the first port most immigrants come to and I don't even know how true that is anymore. NYC polish population is spread all over and is not tight knit as Chicago's. Ever been to Greenpoint Brooklyn? NYC's "little Warsaw" it's not like Chicago's northwest side. US Census reports 182,064 Polish Americans in Chicago but other websites say Chicago has 1.5 Million people with polish decent. Now a lot of this boils down to how far we are going to split the hair and how many people claim some polish blood even down to the 10% range. Are these people saying they are polish Americans? are they counted or are people with only 50% and up counted? Like I said it gets very muddy to measure. Then there is this article(Chicago's Poles are Returning Home | WBEZ) from 2010 that states poles are leaving. Maybe they are but I don't see Chicago losing it's polish history anytime soon .

Polonia w Chicago, USA - PoloniawChicago.com - Album Polonijny ( Polski ) z Chicago i Okolic. - states that Chicago has about 1M polish people claiming polish decent.

Voices of NY » » New York Dethrones Chicago as the ‘Largest Polish City’ Outside of Warsaw

"Chicago is now home to 45,958 immigrants of Polish origin and 126,346 Americans of Polish origin (data from the American Community Survey for 2008-2010). In comparison, the same source estimates that there are currently 55,581 immigrants of Polish origin living in New York and 163,269 Americans of Polish origin.

"Also, when it comes to the number of Polish Americans living in the entire state, New York, with 999,178 people of Polish origin (including 86,527 individuals born outside the U.S.) tops Illinois. In the latter, there are 979,499 Polish Americans, including 148,286 immigrants."

Fewer Poles flock to Chicago - The Boston Globe

"Metropolitan Chicago, with a population of 9.16 million in the 2000 Census, has 820,000 residents of Polish descent. That ranks the city second in the world behind Warsaw's 1.67 million residents."

I just don't know whos right and if these people are creating a news story without solid proof or numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
That statistic was always crap to me because there are a few metropolitan areas in Poland with over 1 million people. And I was never surprised that New York City has more Polish people; NYC attracts more immigration than Chicago. However, there is no question which city is "more" Polish.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Considering NYC has 5.6 million more people within city limits and 11 million more in metro area than Chicago this isn't really a surprise. Clearly though, Chicago is more of a "Polish" city than NYC.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Eh whatever. NYC probably has the most of every immigrant population, except maybe for Mexicans.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Regardless, Chicago is extremely chic and fashionable. And that's what people really care about

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Chicago used to have more polish population than Warsaw, at one point - which is kind of amazing. Since EU opened up the borders within Europe and the economic downturn in the US, immigration from poland has declined drasticaly, and many poles chose to go back home. Work opportunities and such are now only a train ride away, and you dont have to be seperated from your family by an ocean, plus a legal status is never in question.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Chicago used to have more polish population than Warsaw, at one point - which is kind of amazing. Since EU opened up the borders within Europe and the economic downturn in the US, immigration from poland has declined drasticaly, and many poles chose to go back home. Work opportunities and such are now only a train ride away, and you dont have to be seperated from your family by an ocean, plus a legal status is never in question.
On top of that, I think Poland itself is booming.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Seems Chicago has alot more problems to deal with besides worrying about being dethroned as the largest Polish population outside of Warsaw.

Maybe they should concentrate on the recent wrong way drivers on the expressways.

And they actually say Chicago drivers know how to drive

Makes you wonder.!

Take care of the mess this city is in first then worry about your dwindling Polish population.

Let the recession work out . let the construction jobs come back electricians, heating and air good trades and the immigration will pick up .

It's not as if Chicago is on a trajectory of eternal doom.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,696 times
I think it's nice that people are proud of Chicago's ties to the Polish community and care about the decline in Polish population. Better than some of the anti-immigrant cities out there.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Seems Chicago has alot more problems to deal with besides worrying about being dethroned as the largest Polish population outside of Warsaw.

Maybe they should concentrate on the recent wrong way drivers on the expressways.

And they actually say Chicago drivers know how to drive

Makes you wonder.!

Take care of the mess this city is in first then worry about your dwindling Polish population.

Let the recession work out . let the construction jobs come back electricians, heating and air good trades and the immigration will pick up .

It's not as if Chicago is on a trajectory of eternal doom.
What in Gods name are you talking about? Who is worrying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago