Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
They give a crap about today, much less getting locked up and sitting on death row forever. Honestly about the only thing that will stop gang bangers is the law abiding citizens shooting them dead on the spot when they commit a crime and burning their hangouts to the ground. And no I'm not kidding. The tactics of polite society will not end gangs. Basically a scorched earth policy that instill fear in their hearts that makes it be a liability to be a gang member will outweigh the benefit of being in one. Basically bangers fear nothing. The judicial system is a joke. They do no time and cases get tossed. The a Cop gives one of them a well deserved crack and the City will pay them out $80,000. The axis of this world really has shifted to a sad place.

Some of them might act like they don't giva a F*** but a lot of times thats just for show to impress their friends. A lot of bangers, esp. the younger ones actually do give a f*** once they've been to jail and find out they're not as tough as they thought they were. Now the older members who have been in it for years might not give a damn, but I agree the death penalty would not work and it wont stop gangs from flourishing at all. Too much money to be made despite the consequneces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Basically. It's not as in reinstating the death penalty will equal a decrease in gang violence (hell, wasn't the death penalty just recently made illegal in IL? Seems like when it didn't make that much of a difference when crime was worse). They don't fear death or jail and the younger ones think they are immune to both (or at the very least, their juvie records are sealed). Jail and death isn't going to eradicate gangs; only hitting them where it hurts- their wallets- will have an effect.
The death penalty would not put an end to crime. A lot of states in the South that have the death penalty have some of the highest crime rates in the country. I DO think Illinois should adopt the three stikes law.

Three strikes law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mas23

Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
cml

180 posts, read 290,282 times
Man all these shootings in Chicago on the news every month, there has now been 237 shootings and 33 people dead in the past 4-5 months thats alot. This is crazy the city of Chicago or the Illinois State Government has got to do something. In Texas if this **** happened and they catch the gangs they give them the death penalty, Texas does not put up with that stuff. We need Illinois to be almost like Texas in these situations. Then gangs will be afraid to do shootings cause if they law enforcement will torture with the death penalty. Illnois needs a Republican Government.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Man all these shootings in Chicago on the news every month, there has now been 237 shootings and 33 people dead in the past 4-5 months thats alot.
"A lot" is relative. It's on pace to break last year's total of 440 and possibly even 2008's total of 510 (if the numbers stay high all summer) but probably won't come close to the 700-940 yearly totals from the 90's.

It's not good that it's trending up, and we should be concerned, but in historical context it's far from the apocalyptic scenario it's being made out to be.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Man all these shootings in Chicago on the news every month, there has now been 237 shootings and 33 people dead in the past 4-5 months thats alot. This is crazy the city of Chicago or the Illinois State Government has got to do something. In Texas if this **** happened and they catch the gangs they give them the death penalty, Texas does not put up with that stuff. We need Illinois to be almost like Texas in these situations. Then gangs will be afraid to do shootings cause if they law enforcement will torture with the death penalty. Illnois needs a Republican Government.
Ten-second search shows Texas with a murder rate of 5.0/100K, Illinois at 5.5/100K. Not significantly different, and neither is anywhere near as noteworthy as killer Louisiana (11.2) or placid New Hampshire (1.0).

Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Ten-second search shows Texas with a murder rate of 5.0/100K, Illinois at 5.5/100K. Not significantly different, and neither is anywhere near as noteworthy as killer Louisiana (11.2) or placid New Hampshire (1.0).
And Louisiana has the death penalty, too. All data points toward the death penalty being absolutely no deterrent whatsoever to murder.

If there's one thing Illinois does not need it's to become more like Texas.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
And Louisiana has the death penalty, too. All data points toward the death penalty being absolutely no deterrent whatsoever to murder.

If there's one thing Illinois does not need it's to become more like Texas.
The death penalty isn't a deterrent, it's a punishment. Big difference.

An eye for an eye.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plzeň View Post
if there's one thing illinois does not need it's to become more like texas.
amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,129 times
lol @ all the random conservatives coming in from outside the city to rant

Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM

13 posts, read 20,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I agree with this. There has also been speculation that the gangs would turn to start kidnapping people for ransom money (which is what they do in places like Mexico City).
Where's your research or data to support this?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've been here 11 years and 4 of them have been in Buena Park. I've never to my knowledge heard any gunfire. I certainly don't know anyone who's been shot, nor have I ever heard any friends or coworkers mention ever knowing someone who's been shot.

As keeps being repeated - a vast majority of shootings happen in certain neighborhoods among gang members.
Even though this (part of the) neighborhood is slowly improving, I still hear gunshots fairly often. Usually in the distance to the south though. We had one terrible instance about 3-4 years ago where a young gangbanger was gunned down in the street in front of our house. We actually heard it happen (we had our window open and it overlooks the street) and heard the anguished cries of his brother as his sibling died in his arms. It was horrific. If we were ever tempted to walk away from our house, credit be damned, that was it. Thankfully, nothing like that has happened in our direct vicinity since, and this part of the neighborhood continues to get better as the hipsters/artists move in and run the rents up.

(To clarify: Please don't think I am painting the gangbanger as a poor victim. The media, the 250 gangbangers who came out to pay respects to their fallen homie at the scene (Which was odd since his family said "He wasn't in no gang!") all did their part to paint him as a poor innocent victim. When I say it was "terrible instance" I meant for his brother and/or anyone who had to go through the trauma of witnessing a person lose their life (especially in such a stupid and senseless manner) and the heightened gang tensions (and danger to passersby) that followed. Otherwise I am not lamenting a few less gangbangers in the world)

Last edited by quigboto; 06-22-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago