Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

Today well walking down a particularly crowded sidewalk in an area of the city with little traffic a well defined bike lanes I noticed a bike coming down a hill in the middle of the sidewalk. I refused to step over, he refused to move over. As he passed within two inches of me I said (mostly under my breath) that biking on the sidewalk is a 500 dollar fine. He finished the hill squealed on his breaks, biked up the hill and dismounted his bike. He then asked me to repeat what I said to which he responded "you are lucky you didn't get shot for that". I responded that I'd been biking in chicago and the risk you incur biking with cars is regrettable but it is part of using a bike in the city and he had no rite to risk the many pedestrians on the sidewalk. He made some threatening gestures I pointed to the cop on the corner. Lol, this guy had a brand new bike, a jerky little rear-view mirror, one of those fake french tour shirts. Clearly not a regular biker. Now, I've never said anything to the people who ride on the side walks but today was a traffic free beautiful day. I grew up without bike lanes or protective laws and I never got in anyones face about. Still can't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esalinge View Post
Today well walking down a particularly crowded sidewalk in an area of the city with little traffic a well defined bike lanes I noticed a bike coming down a hill in the middle of the sidewalk. I refused to step over, he refused to move over. As he passed within two inches of me I said (mostly under my breath) that biking on the sidewalk is a 500 dollar fine. He finished the hill squealed on his breaks, biked up the hill and dismounted his bike. He then asked me to repeat what I said to which he responded "you are lucky you didn't get shot for that". I responded that I'd been biking in chicago and the risk you incur biking with cars is regrettable but it is part of using a bike in the city and he had no rite to risk the many pedestrians on the sidewalk. He made some threatening gestures I pointed to the cop on the corner. Lol, this guy had a brand new bike, a jerky little rear-view mirror, one of those fake french tour shirts. Clearly not a regular biker. Now, I've never said anything to the people who ride on the side walks but today was a traffic free beautiful day. I grew up without bike lanes or protective laws and I never got in anyones face about. Still can't believe it.
You were right. That guy can suck it.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
You just can't win as a biker. I got told off the road / driver told me to get on the sidewalk biking in Houston and Chicago. Then they tell you you can't bike on the sidewalk in Michigan Ave. But I blew past red light even with a cop car nearby and the cops did nothing, - but I stopped and looked before going...

Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
I thought the fine was $50.00. Did it go up that much? Man, they must really be trying to plug those holes in the budget.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You just can't win as a biker. I got told off the road / driver told me to get on the sidewalk biking in Houston and Chicago. Then they tell you you can't bike on the sidewalk in Michigan Ave. But I blew past red light even with a cop car nearby and the cops did nothing, - but I stopped and looked before going...
That driver was wrong. Get off of the GD sidewalk.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
I just use them on the small streets.

Why would I ride on main streets?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
seriously - GET OFF THE SIDEWALKS.

i'm sick of having to give priority to some cyclist when PEDESTRIANS have the right of way on sidewalks.

you just need to deal with drivers. thus, why, as i stated earlier in this thread, i don't ride a bike is because I KNOW BETTER than to ride on the sidewalks, and am terrified of getting run over by a car.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I never give an inch to a bicycle on the sidewalk. When I see one coming I stop, plant my feet and look the bike rider right in the eye. They steer wide every time.

However on the streets while driving I give bike riders every break. And when I ride my bike I'm scrupulous about obeying traffic laws.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
when did Chicagoans become such a bunch of Sallies? I've been riding my bloody bike in the street since I was 10 years old - when I was a kid you were a punk if you weren't long before the legal age of 12. I bike everywhere on the street - cyclists who don't are part of the problem.

No doubt you deal with some aggressive jerks, but you know what - you do that as a driver or pedestrian as well. Don't be one of those cyclists who indiscriminately blow through red lights and respect all people regardless of their mode of transportation and you will generally be fine. Over 25 years of cycling in the streets, and I haven't been hit once by a car and I ride a good 8 months out of the year.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
when did Chicagoans become such a bunch of Sallies? I've been riding my bloody bike in the street since I was 10 years old - when I was a kid you were a punk if you weren't long before the legal age of 12. I bike everywhere on the street - cyclists who don't are part of the problem.

No doubt you deal with some aggressive jerks, but you know what - you do that as a driver or pedestrian as well. Don't be one of those cyclists who indiscriminately blow through red lights and respect all people regardless of their mode of transportation and you will generally be fine. Over 25 years of cycling in the streets, and I haven't been hit once by a car and I ride a good 8 months out of the year.
x2. I haven't been riding for 25 years. More like 5-6. However, I obey the laws and stay alert and (knock on some wood here, people), have never been involved in an accident of any note. I've had to swerve, mind you, but I've never hit anyone or been hit by anyone.

I know that there are PLENTY of cyclists who have followed every rule and still gotten doored, etc. However, being safe and alert sure helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago