Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 30,702 times

Advertisements

Please help folks. Considering a move from a wonderful, tranquil NW suburb to ERP. Close to work.
DUNK couple, so schools are not an issue.
We lived in Evanston before, and drove though ERP numerous times.
From what I read (and what it *looks like*), it’s still pretty scummy at many areas.
Strictly speaking – is that large nice building by cemetery safe?? If you just lived there. Can you jog around the Lake path (toward Evanston)? Can you safely park around it (1-2 block radius).
We were told that Sheridan at Evanston border is pretty descent and the cops keep the unwanted more or less South/West of it.
Is it true?
What about the lake-front buildings on East Lake (somewhat close to Howard, unfortunately)?
Does anyone live around and can’t comment on it? We don’t give a rat’s behind about “diversity” and it's definitely not a draw for us, just want someplace reasonably safe and issue-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
That's way too close to the Juneway Jungle for my tastes. That little rectangle of area bounded by the cemetary, Clark/Chicago, Howard and Sheridan tends to see some flare-ups in crime. You can have a look at CLEARmap to see what's been happening over there.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM

thank you for replying.
that's my thinking too... if the perps are walking distance, it's too close.

so I guess jogging is out. or... walking, parking

i was so excited about those little building with own boat slip. oh well. we keep looking.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Yes, I agree with the poster who said it was too close to the Juneway Jungle.

It has a reputation for gang crimes and drug dealing.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
It's a beautiful looking, recently-built (relatively) building and I wouldn't worry about living there, on that block or walking along Sheridan Road. Would I wander the streets immediately to the N. and W. of there late-night? No. But I doubt you'll be doing that, either. If it's a good deal for you financially I don't know of any reason expressed here already that would cause me not to go for it.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 PM

yeah... thing is, one of us may need to be parking on the street late after gym, 10pm or so.
probably not the best for that, eh.

with the buildings that have own dock slip there, like the few on East Lake - can you really swim off it? i know there is no sand. kayak, etc?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Then don't move there, if you already made up your mind it wasn't a good choice? If you don't like Sheridan Rd. and are afraid to park your car moving a block away on Eastlake Terrace gets you in the same neighborhood. Have you visited there? I don't think so. Check to see if the building offers parking.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Sorry GM. No, we *did* look at the one at Sheridan... beaut. building with slivers of lake view.
Offers 1 car garage, so one of us will need to street park at night.... eeek.
But right around it, there are many rentals (other side of Sheridan).
Shady looking people, some visibly high, loud... just weird. Trash around buildings, etc.

We haven't look at the East Lake one yet, but will tonight. Drive around there after 8pm to really see what's up.
Maybe someday the ERP will get cleaned up; all of it. It's been "up and coming" for 2 decades now.

thanks for the info yall.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
I lived on Eastlake and it is great to be across the street from the beach. However tradeoffs include that there is limited street parking and aggressive parking enforcement. Transportation is good but in storm periods the lake is wont to leave its shores for the local streets. Shopping is somewhat distant, when compared to other areas. Sheridan Road during rush hours happens to be a major highway with speeding cars, too.

As for crime, it is an area in the city. Different folks have different tolerances as to raffish street traffic and different tolerance as to the incidence of crime. Decide if you want to live in an urban environment and makes your residential arrangements accordingly.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
The area around the apartments on Juneway is pretty nasty but I think Eastlake is far enough from it. Howard Street is a dump, but there's not much within walking distance regardless, if you're looking to live along the lake in RP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: