Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 34,542 times

Advertisements

I am a Florida resident but live in Maryland (I'm in the military). I was in Chicago over Christmas and apparently my car got flashed by a red-light camera. Over 2 months later, I got the ticket in the mail.

I have multiple reasons why this ticket is total crap (I wasn't driving, it was raining and slushy, short yellow-light duration, a car stopped in the intersection in front of us and otherwise we would have made it through the intersection before the light turned red, and untimely notification about the ticket). But beyond all of that, what happens if I don't pay this ticket? What can Chicago do to me as a resident of Florida (with a Florida license) living in Maryland (with the car registered in Maryland)?

From what I can tell, this is a "non-moving" violation, which doesn't make sense, but as such it can't affect my insurance or license. They can't affect my registration since the car is registered in Maryland. And for all they know, I never got the violation notice.

What happens if I just ignore this? The violation says that "any unpaid fine constitutes a debt due and owing to the City." How does that affect an out-of-stater?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,412 times
1) None of your defense points are a valid defense.

2) Eventually they will go after you for an unpaid debt, use a collection company, and if unpaid or if you don't properly contest, etc. this will go on your Credit Report as an unpaid debt and effect your FICO.

That's about the long and short of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 34,542 times
Thanks. I didn't realize they could go the FICO route. I've never even had a parking ticket before this, so this is all new to me. We don't have red-light cameras where I live either, although we do have a few speed cameras popping up (my girlfriend sent me a copy of the speeding ticket I got [she was driving a car registered to me] even though I was deployed to Iraq at the time, but that was funnier and only 40 bucks).

As far as my defenses, I agree that they won't care. But I think that if a cop saw what happened in person, he would NOT have pulled us over, much less given me (as the passenger) a fine. It seems like they worked really hard to figure out a way to make this legal. If an officer pulls someone over for running a red light, that would be a moving violation, and the driver would be responsible. The registrant has nothing to do with it. But to avoid that issue completely, they made it a non-moving violation, and fine the registrant regardless of who was driving. I don't like this trend. And if they really wanted to make the roads safer, how about making the yellow light longer than 3 seconds? That's seems pretty short.

I guess I'll just wait a couple of days to let my anger settle down, and then bend over and take it and pay the fine. I don't feel like asking the driver (future father-in-law) to pay it. That relationship is already complicated enough . . .

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
How exactly do you propose they identify drivers other than by looking up the registered owner of the vehicle?! If you don't want to pay other people's fines don't allow them to drive your car. And learn the local driving laws next time you're in a new city.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,412 times
Believe me, the Police aren't fans of the cameras either. This is all politicians doing. Just as an FYI, all intersections with Red Light Cameras have signs warning of them. Keep your eyes peeled for the sign and use extra caution around it. That's about the best advice I can give.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,240,916 times
In some states it is illegal. Try contacting someone on the Florida end of things to see what's up.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
In some states it is illegal. Try contacting someone on the Florida end of things to see what's up.
That is irrelevant. The offense occurred in Illinois, not Florida.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM

49 posts, read 137,587 times
If you got the ticket, just pay it. They are not worth fighting. The ticket automatically goes to the registered owner of the vehicle, doesn't matter who was driving. You are responsible. I know it sucks, but I would just pay the fine and move on with your life.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
How exactly do you propose they identify drivers other than by looking up the registered owner of the vehicle?! If you don't want to pay other people's fines don't allow them to drive your car. And learn the local driving laws next time you're in a new city.
Give the guy a break. He's right, its highly unlikely a cop would've pulled him over in that situation. That's why they've been so controversial everywhere they've been deployed.

To the OP, you can try and contest it, but it will likely just be a waste of your time. Unless you want to risk them taking it to collection, just pay the ticket.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
There was a camera located at the stoplight right in front of the office I was working at this past summer. I didn't notice the camera until I got two tickets in the mail two days apart After that I was very careful. I was also an out of state resident, but since they had my picture and I was clearly guilty of turning right on red which wasn't allowed (in Michigan most are) I decided it would be pointless to attempt to contest it.

Whether you decide to contest or pay the ticket is your own choice, just don't let it go unpaid because it will bite you in the butt. Since the ticket is $100+, it's probably handled a little differently than a $20 parking ticket. I wouldn't chance it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: