Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

[quote=Chi-turtle;24258614
Your price range is right in line for a nice 1 bedroom in any of those neighborhoods, but the occupancy rate in Chicago is extremely high right now (like 94%).[/quote]

Occupancy is actually almost 96%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Totally agree that within 20 minutes and a "hot neighborhood" of Elmhurst isn't possible.

There's two problems with taking the Metra to the burbs (potentially)
1) The commute is still an hour, but then again it's not an hour of knowing whether you'll be on time or not. It's a train afterall.

2) What do you do if your work is not close to the Metra stop? How do you get to work from the metra stop then?
I communte from WP to Arlington Heights and on days I don't have sales meetings I commute via Metra. My office is right off the train stop, but 40 minutes on the train feels a LOT faster than 40 minutes on the car. Plus I can bust out the ipad and get some additional work done or watch a move during that time.

If it's not close to the Metra, then the commute is gonna suck, but people do it. If it pays well and you can afford the urban lifestyle then the commute is worth it still. Otherwise he'll have to live in the burbs.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I communte from WP to Arlington Heights and on days I don't have sales meetings I commute via Metra. My office is right off the train stop, but 40 minutes on the train feels a LOT faster than 40 minutes on the car. Plus I can bust out the ipad and get some additional work done or watch a move during that time.

If it's not close to the Metra, then the commute is gonna suck, but people do it. If it pays well and you can afford the urban lifestyle then the commute is worth it still. Otherwise he'll have to live in the burbs.
Yeah, edited my post. The train ride is 30-35 to Elmhurst, but yeah I completely agree. If you are on the train, you can do work, or sleep, or relax (try).

I completely agree though. If you want the urban lifestyle, then having a 40 minute commute each day, each way, is worth it versus living in the suburbs (even though there are young professionals out there). In Minnesota where I grew up and did internships for 3 summers in college, it was basically a big suburb. While there were many young professionals living there, I would never ever think about moving back unless I had a family.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksguy2011b View Post
Hey all,

I am looking into re-locating to the Chicago area from Minneapolis. Don't know a thing about Chicago, but go big or go home right?

I'm looking for some advice on what area to live in. My office will be in the Elmhurst area and I would like a quick commute to work everyday (will be driving every day). I would like to be in a hot area for singles or young professionals. I'm really looking for a simple 1br apartment for under $1200 a month with convenient amenities, safe neighborhood etc...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

B
Forest Park.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Although it has more taprooms / sports bars than Elmhurst (which does have some...) I don't know I would classify Forest Park as either hip/hot areas for single or young professionals.

Fact is NOTHING in the region holds a candle to the pull of Lakeview (there is reason people at Wrigley are always smiling even when the team is terrible...).

The OP is either going to have to modify their expectations of commute or plan to soak up the fun on the weekends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago