Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
if relocating (from another part of US), the majority who come have their roots in

Iowa
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin

Of course this list excludes immigration, which make up a huge %
Surely you forgot the state that borders the city. I'd say Indiana is first, Wisconsin second, and Michigan third, just given proximity. I'd be interested in seeing actual data though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Definitely a huge Indiana presence. Oddly, I don't run into a lot of people from Minnesota or Missouri, but the rest of the Midwest, yeah. All of the time.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 AM

108 posts, read 281,795 times
yeah you're right I forgot Indiana, a biggie

Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 AM

To answer the OP's question, Chicago certainly attracts more people from the Midwest than anywhere else, as pretty much any city does within its own region, but I don't think I'd say "mostly." I have friends and acquaintances here from all over the country and world.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Definitely a huge Indiana presence. Oddly, I don't run into a lot of people from Minnesota or Missouri, but the rest of the Midwest, yeah. All of the time.
Minnesota is pretty far from Chicago and has its own thriving city, so that one doesn't surprise me so much. Missouri is a little more of a surprise, though I've known people here from there.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
I've seen a ton of plates in the neighborhood from Michigan and Ohio.

I'm guessing the job market dictated the move.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM

303 posts, read 579,394 times
Yes allot of people that move to Chicago are from the Midwest.The main states are Ohio,Michigan,Iowa,Indiana and Wisconsin. Chicago still has transplants from all across the nation but compared to NY and LA, its low. Chicago is a great city, but theres people that have the wrong interpretation of the city. People don't know Chicago is this big city . How many times I heard people suprised by Chicago and fall in love with the city. Chicago isn't all over the tv like NY,DC,LA ,SF and Las Vegas , so everyone not going know how a city is.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times
I would say that Chicago attracts people from all over the world - there is a sizable international population there....especially from Mexico, Philipines, India and Eastern Europe...but yes I met people from almost every continent there. The only ethnicity that I never really encountered (as far as I know) was Australia/NZ Aboriginie. I am sure there is someone there with that background though.

And yes, I am someone who was born and raised in Ohio, went to college there, and then later picked up and moved to Chicago, in the late 90's. The appeal of Chicago was that it was like the Midwest's version of NYC, but it was only a 4 hour drive away from home. Not only does the city offer a lot of jobs, but it has interesting things that my hometown didnt offer (such as the L train, amazing restaurants, a huge nightlife scene, etc). And what others said is true, most of the americans who do move there, tend to come mostly from other parts of the midwest (for some reason, it is mostly people from Michigan and Ohio primarily - although other states that are closer, such as Iowa, IN and WI are represented too). I went to a large high school outside Dayton and out of my graduating class (of over 500 people), there are at least 5 or 6 people that I am aware of, that are living in Chicago. And then there are others from the other graduating classes that are there too.

Of course, the thing about Ohioans, is they want to get the hell out of Ohio...a lot of people left...in my graduating class, some went to Chicago, some went to places like Florida, a few went to California (one of my classmates went to LA and started to have some success in show biz, and actually went on to host a show on BET for a while).

So I would say, Chicago is a place that draws a lot of people, but mostly other midwesterners who are ok with the climate and are looking for an upgrade in the level of urbanity, that their currrent city (like Dayton or Indianapolis) isnt offering.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
I was surprised when I realized how many people in the city came from places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, etc.

I wouldn't really consider those in the same vein as an Iowa or Ohio, but, it still is the closest big city.

As someone who tries to make regular trips between California and Chicago, lemme tell you -- it's FAR. You smoke practically a whole day if you're flying.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
I'd rather sleep on a park bench and drink rain water in Chicago, than live in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago