Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 21,982 times

Advertisements

Chicago Nursing Jobs - Hospital Nursing Jobs in Chicago IL

Im looking for some help on finding a hospital nursing job in Chicago. Finding a nursing job in Chicago has proven to be very difficult for me. Ive lived in several other large cities and Ive never had a problem finding a nursing job. Chicago is apparently different than other cities.

I have 5 years of experience in both SICU and ER nursing.

First of all, to apply for a hospital nursing job in Chicago they want you to go online and apply on their web site. Then you cant call the hospital to find out the status of your application. Then the hospitals just dont call to follow up on your nursing application. Ive been looking for a nursing job in Chicago for almost 2 months now. What is going on here in Chicago and why dont the hospitals call the experienced Registered Nurses that apply for nursing jobs at their facility?

Is there a better way too find a nursing job in Chicago?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 17,034 times
Default RE - Chicago Nursing Jobs - Hospital Nursing Jobs in Chicago IL

I had the same problem finding a nursing job in Chicago when I moved into Chicago. Nursing Jobs in Chicago are not easy to find like in other cities. It look me 3 and a half months to find a nursing job.

When it looked like it was going to take a while to find a nursing job in Chicago when I moved here I decided to start doing agency nursing. I joined one of the larger national agencies and that didnt work out too well. Every time I called in to talk about shifts and my availability I got a different person who didnt know who I was and what I wanted. I ended up joining a local nursing agency called Healthcare Personnel Inc. They got me started working in about a week and started sending me to hospitals all over the city and suburbs. I asked them to do this because I wanted to get into as many hospitals as possible to just get an idea of what the hospitals in Chicago were like. I strongly suggest agency nursing in Chicago.

Here is the name of the nursing agency if your looking for some agency nursing work in Chicago while you continue to look for the nursing job that is a fit for you.

Web Site Link
Healthcare Personnel inc
HPI

I hope this helps. Dont get discouraged. The hospitals in Chicago do take a while to process new nursing applicants. Im sure it will be only a few months before you find a great new nursing job..!! Try agency nursing work in Chicago to suppliment your income while you look for a full time job. I think you will like it.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 18,232 times
I had a look at an online nursing job database published at www.2ajobguide.com/healthcare_nursing_jobs.aspx (http://www.2ajobguide.com/healthcare_nursing_jobs.aspx - broken link) and found 23,800 job vacancies for nursing and related field in Illinois and 6,231 vacancies in Chicago. If you carefully study these vacancies you will find something that fits with your professional experience. You can apply online without intermediates and without any cost, in contrast to many nursing agencies who will charge you for their service.

Last edited by Bolaleman; 11-23-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: re-formatting

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM

25 posts, read 98,797 times
I am looking to hire a part-time nurse for a Chicago Head Start program. The job requires 10 hours per week and involves working w/ infants ages 0-3.

If you're interested (or you know anyone interested) please send me a PM - I will link you to the company website.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
This is pretty surprising to me. I would think that nursing would be one of the easiest fields to get into in Chicago especially with experience. My girlfirend is going to be graduating from nursing school pretty soon so now you got me worried

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Oh, did you now America used to import a lot of Filipino nurses because of the shortage? - But now I heard their is a glut of trained nurses in the Phillippines waiting for an overseas job!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Oh, did you now America used to import a lot of Filipino nurses because of the shortage? - But now I heard their is a glut of trained nurses in the Phillippines waiting for an overseas job!
Ship them to Europe.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,343,853 times
My girl is in the field. We were just talking about this the other day...

One thing she's found is that nursing definitely provides great job security, but the days of 'write your own ticket, anywhere in the country, right out of school' are definitely a thing of the past. The shortage of nurses caused an uptick in wages relative to the education required, which in recent years seems to have caused a lot of people to choose it as a career path. While there may be an aggregate shortage of nurses country wide, highly desirable cities (NYC, Chicago,Boston, etc) don't seem to suffer from these shortages as drastically since, well, they're highly desirable cities and nurses want to move there like everyone else.

There are some specialty areas that are always in need (home care and residential geriatric care seem to be two of them) but the more 'exciting' specialties (like ER) seem to have competition, especially in a place like Chicago where the wages are fairly high. You do have the wind at your back a bit, in that you already have five years experience. This definitely counts.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,574 times
I also work for the nursing agency listed above. Healthcare Personnel Inc has been sending me into hospitals all over the Chicago area. i do mostly ICU nursing. I recomend this nursing agency to all of my nursing friends. If you are looking for a friendly nursing agency to work for I highly recomend Healthcare Personnel Inc.Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,874 times
Default Nursing Jobs in Chicago

I am looking to relocate summer of 2010 to Chicago from St. Paul, MN. I will be a new grad and am looking for RN positions. I was wondering if anyone knows how the nursing job market is in Chicago. I've searched various hospitals, but those are just postings for current positions and I want to know if more RN positions are expected to be available once I graduate. In the Twin Cities, RN positions are just not available. Just wondering if anyone in the industry has some thoughts. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago