Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post

@marothisu: The degree is actually in Geography. I have some basic GIS skills, but it seems like Geography is looked down upon like any other liberal arts degree. I have also been looking at job listings in Chicago for geography related jobs, and there is few. I am also thinking about attending grad school in either California or Chicago. To get a job in for the city of Chicago though is based upon who you know, is it not?
That's good. I don't know why it would be looked down upon. I think it's because people are unaware of what it actually is, but it's definitely not 100% easy. As far as the City of Chicago thing, eh it depends. I may or may not know one of those two people I listed earlier ;-) but I don't think they're going to want to take random solicitation from me unless I knew you really well. I am pretty sure you can get a job in the city if you don't know anybody. Now, if we were talking about getting a high up job in the city, then yeah...that might be more of who you know.

If you were going to go to grad school, have you ever considered urban planning/systems/urban studies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
There are a lot worse liberal arts degrees you could have. Working with data of any type, including geographical data, is a very good skill to have nowadays. You could easily spin your skills to get entry level work in urban planning, non-profits, marketing, construction, agriculture, and loads more. Make sure to emphasize any computer skills you have, and spend some time improving/expanding them. I graduated in the early 90's with a BFA (photography) and a BA (history) and ended up combining that with some basic programming skills to build a tech career. I was in the right place at the right time, but I think the big thing now is data processing, analysis and presentation. If you have a college degree you should mainly apply to jobs that ask for a resume, not just an application. I'd start with temp/placement agencies and let them sell you to employers. You should also keep your eyes on Craigslist, Linked In, etc. If you have basic computer skills (i.e. MS Office suite), can write coherently, and generally get along with people you should be able to find something that gets you $30-40,000.

Your money will definitely go a lot further in Chicago than it will in Southern California, and you'll have just as many job opportunities. You can also live without a car, which will save you quite a bit. Your plan makes plenty of sense to me.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM

192 posts, read 324,406 times
@marothisu: Geography can be really difficult, for start talking about map datums and the such, and I think most people would be totally lost. Ah, well it is good to hear you can maybe get into the city of Chicago with a entry level job. I have worked for a city for nearly seven years, and would probably look into working for a city again in the future.

Yes, I have considered urban planning in grad school, for it has always been one of my big interests. There is a glut of graduates in the field though, and not enough jobs from the various online messages boards I have read. I am looking at CSU(yes, I have read about the reputation of the school, but the professors in the geography department come from reputable schools, there is a low student to teacher ratio, and the price is right for me) to get my masters at, and take classes to get more skills in GIS, and I also want to take some classes in community development/planning for they also have a center for that helps assists the communities around the area which I could maybe get some real life experience in.

@Attrill: It is good to hear that someone thinks my plan is doable! I know it may be tough at first, but if I am able to find a job it will all be worth it in the end. With geography one of the skills that you learn is how to be able to work with data and analyze it which is one of the things I would be most interested in doing as a job anyways. Yes, I definitely plan on living car free if I moved to Chicago, for it is one of its biggest appeals to me along with it being cheaper than Southern California while at the same time having more of a urban feel.

I am really excited for I just bought my plane ticket to visit Chicago next month to scope it out. I have been researching the city for a year now, and it is great I will finally be able to experience it!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
@rparz: Is it hard to find a basic job that pays the bills in Chicago if your a liberal arts major?

I really would like to move to Chicago, but I do not want to end up jobless which leaves me wondering if I should take the step right now or not.
I have a few associates that are already living here having trouble finding a job or are drastically under employed.

Not saying that's the case for you, but I'd line up some pretty good leads before you come, as opposed to just showing up in the city cold.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Depends on your lifestyle, I guess. But with a liberal arts degree you better be ready to go teach or go back to school and get a degree in something that will translate into gainful employment.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Depends on your lifestyle, I guess. But with a liberal arts degree you better be ready to go teach or go back to school and get a degree in something that will translate into gainful employment.
NOT that easy to get teaching jobs these days! And nobody should be using it as their fallback position.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM

I am not looking to teach. I have to really figure out a direction though. I do not really want to go back to school unless there is something I know that I would want to do with a degree. There is some related things I would want to do with a MA in geography, but at the same time I know those fields are really difficult to get into. Besides that, I do not really have any other job fields that really interest me, so it is difficult to think of something else to go to school for. Which means I probably should not go for a degree in a different field, but at the same time if I cannot find a job with my current degree it becomes a question of what do I do then. I cannot stand this job market!

My lifestyle is frugal, so I know I can get by with a job that makes $30,000-$40,000 a year. The difficult part is finding a job that pays this much today.

@rpaz: Ok, thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
@marothisu: Geography can be really difficult, for start talking about map datums and the such, and I think most people would be totally lost. Ah, well it is good to hear you can maybe get into the city of Chicago with a entry level job. I have worked for a city for nearly seven years, and would probably look into working for a city again in the future.

Yes, I have considered urban planning in grad school, for it has always been one of my big interests. There is a glut of graduates in the field though, and not enough jobs from the various online messages boards I have read. I am looking at CSU(yes, I have read about the reputation of the school, but the professors in the geography department come from reputable schools, there is a low student to teacher ratio, and the price is right for me) to get my masters at, and take classes to get more skills in GIS, and I also want to take some classes in community development/planning for they also have a center for that helps assists the communities around the area which I could maybe get some real life experience in.
I think you can get into the COC unless you want a high up position, but since you aren't at that position yet, not to worry. Just have to see any job openings.

As far as grad school goes, I think UIC is considered a better school for that stuff, and wouldn't doubt if Northwestern and U of Chicago, maybe even IIT are better too. Of course, the two best Urban Planning schools are in LA.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think you can get into the COC unless you want a high up position, but since you aren't at that position yet, not to worry. Just have to see any job openings.

As far as grad school goes, I think UIC is considered a better school for that stuff, and wouldn't doubt if Northwestern and U of Chicago, maybe even IIT are better too. Of course, the two best Urban Planning schools are in LA.
Oh ok, I have to look at the city's website.

I was looking at the top Chicago universities, and only one of them has a MA in Geography, and it was not that strong in the GIS side of things. One of them has a urban planning MA.

Yeah, I live about 20-25 minute drive from Cal Poly Pomona which also has a good Urban Planning program. If I am going to get a MA in strictly Urban Planning then it makes sense for me to stay in California. Since the job field is doing so poorly in it though, it makes me doubtful that I will end up getting a masters strictly in it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
No offense, but this is the problem with a lot the whiners you see out there (not calling you a whiner) who think that just because you went to college and got a degree, that you're entitled to a good job.

Did you have a counselor at school discuss with you the prospects you might find after graduation with a degree in geography? Were you not interested in those fields? If so, why don't you do something in geography? If not, why did you get a degree in geography?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: