Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I didn't know that Thick chicago style pizza was for tourists, I like it too. I didn't know chicago style crust was thin. Hm! interesting what you read.

When i dont want too much dough, thin crust is best. But i hate when they overcook the crust and its burnt and dried out. I call Giordanos and if you want it cooked lightly you can tell them to press the button at the cashier for "lightly cooked".. this would be for a veggie pizza, pepperoni, or anything but sausage which needs to be cooked more than lightly. Giordanos tastes better cooked lightly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Chicago Tourism - How to Not Act Like a Tourist in Chicago

See #4.

That cracker-style thin crust pizza cut into squares? That's very much a Chicago thing -- You don't see it much at all outside of this area.

God I disagree with this so much. I agree that it's something tourists go out of their way to do, but I eat deep dish all the time. It's like saying going to a Cubs game is a touristy thing to do and locals don't do it.

Giordano's thin crust is fantastic though.

Last edited by Jandur; 09-11-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I agree that deep dish Chicago style pizza is not just for tourists. However as mentioned there is another "Chicago style pizza" that is thin crisp crust cut into squares and that is what many people order at a local pizza place on a Friday night or for delivery. Its the pizza I first remember eating as a child. Deep dish is what the tourists know but I believe there are still locals that like it or like myself like it for a change of pace. Most people know of the classic places for deep dish or stuffed such as Uno and Due, Gino's, Nancy's, Malnati's and Eduardo's. There are those including myself that like Pequods burnt cheese crust. There is also Burts which is in Morton Grove but you can't just walk in you have to order it in advance because he makes it fresh. There are those who believe his is the best deep dish pizza.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
When I was little, we had Father and Sons, on Milwaukee in Logan Square. Delicious! I dont know if they are still making it like that, does anyone know? it would be one of my faves now if so!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Deep Dish is lasagna with a crust instead of noodles. Nothing better than a brick oven baked thin crust pizza.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Deep Dish is lasagna with a crust instead of noodles. Nothing better than a brick oven baked thin crust pizza.
Where in chicago, not to far from downtown (or easy to get to by bus) can you get that? I have a feeling I'd love it! i saw it on tv and it looked good!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
When I was little, we had Father and Sons, on Milwaukee in Logan Square. Delicious! I dont know if they are still making it like that, does anyone know? it would be one of my faves now if so!
They're still there and still making pretty decent thin-crust pies. I think they have a second location in Old Town too.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Where in chicago, not to far from downtown (or easy to get to by bus) can you get that? I have a feeling I'd love it! i saw it on tv and it looked good!
I really can't answer that because I don't live in Chicago. I live in Milwaukee where there are a couple of good places that make it. I have no doubt there are a number of places in Chicago where you can get it. You just need to ask around. It's a big city big with just about anything you can think of to eat.

I've had the deep dish in Chicago and while it's very good it just isn't pizza to me.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Quote:
You can get that at any deep dish place mentioned...pick your place...Uno, Due, Nancy's, Edwardos, Lou Malnati....I think the stuffed pizzas remind me a little more of lasagna than the traditional deep dish.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I agree that it's something tourists go out of their way to do, but I eat deep dish all the time.
There's nothing at all wrong with that, but if you have it more than, say, 2-3 times a year when out-of-town guests are visiting, that would certainly put you in the minority among Chicagoans I know.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
There's nothing at all wrong with that, but if you have it more than, say, 2-3 times a year when out-of-town guests are visiting, that would certainly put you in the minority among Chicagoans I know.
You need new friends. Everyone I know loves deep dish, even better is the relative value considering the weight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago