Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You'll learn that when you post to web forums you don't control the content, the answers, etc. Pizza, like Hot Dogs, elicit fierce debate in the city. You'll know that when you encounter people who were born here.
Do you mention you were born in Chicago in every post. It's nice you love this town so much. But really?? I too was born here but gheezh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I was a pretty big fan of Calo's stuffed when I lived in Andersonville, back before they became an "exposed-brick bistro."

Still go once in a great while.
They still make a killer pie.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You need new friends. Everyone I know loves deep dish, even better is the relative value considering the weight!
If by my friends you really mean everyone in the city who isn't your friends, then sure, I'll get right on that.

Like I said, there's nothing WRONG with liking it. It's fine that you like it. It's fine that your friends like it. Do you honestly, however, believe for even one second, that if you took a survey of Chicago locals the majority of them would regularly eat deep dish pizza? Seriously? Do you think if you went into any of the popular deep dish places downtown and took a survey, that the majority of the people eating there would be locals rather than tourists? You can't possibly believe that.

That's all I'm saying. That's all anyone is saying. The end.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Some of the reasons I think people might not eat deep dish pizza as often is that it is a very heavy dish, and takes longer to get and cook so you have to wait longer for it. And thin crust pizza is just as good or to some even better. So if I am ordering from my favorite pizza place on a Friday night, I can pick my pizza up in 15 or 20 min if its thin crust but if its deep dish I might not get it for forty five min or an hour. Deep dish can be awfully heavy and even greasy (but delicious) for the health conscious.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
If by my friends you really mean everyone in the city who isn't your friends, then sure, I'll get right on that.

Like I said, there's nothing WRONG with liking it. It's fine that you like it. It's fine that your friends like it. Do you honestly, however, believe for even one second, that if you took a survey of Chicago locals the majority of them would regularly eat deep dish pizza? Seriously? Do you think if you went into any of the popular deep dish places downtown and took a survey, that the majority of the people eating there would be locals rather than tourists? You can't possibly believe that.

I probably eat deep dish 2-3 times more then I eat thin crust. Only time I will eat thin crust is at a bar with friends, or when I dont feel like eating pizza with a knife and fork at home. Thin crust pizza can be great, nothing like a flavorful sauce, crispy dough, and the right amount of sauce. However when deep dish is done well, it is nothing short of magical.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
Quote:

I think it would be pretty close, and anyone saying one or the other is definately more popular is mistaken.

The majority of people eating at deep dish places downtown would be tourists, because it's tourist central. Aside from the whopping 3-4 deep dish places downtown the rest of them survive on locals.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
You can get that at any deep dish place mentioned...pick your place...Uno, Due, Nancy's, Edwardos, Lou Malnati....I think the stuffed pizzas remind me a little more of lasagna than the traditional deep dish.
I think he meant where can you get brick-oven pizza.

I'm sure there are more places, but Coalfire springs to mind, 1321 W. Grand (easy to get to via bus and not to terrible to walk to from the Ashland Green Line stop).

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I think it would be pretty close, and anyone saying one or the other is definately more popular is mistaken.

The majority of people eating at deep dish places downtown would be tourists, because it's tourist central. Aside from the whopping 3-4 deep dish places downtown the rest of them survive on locals.
I like deep-dish, but I'm usually in too much of a hurry for it and, truth be told, I don't eat the much pizza of any kind.

I have a lot of out-of-town guests, though, and I send them to the Lou Malnati's on Wells (because that's the closest one to me) and so far everyone (literally dozens of out-of-town people) has loved it. It's also where I go for deep dish when I do get it.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
I know it was mentioned already but not much so I'll second Vitto and Nick's with their carpeted walls and excellent thin crust.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:

Seriously, yes. Loads of people love deep dish pizza, and since I don't spend my non-work free time downtown that is kind of a moot point. I am not saying locals eat more of it than thin crust (although some clearly do), simply that you are making an argument full of assumptions and un-quantifiable metrics. What does "regularly" mean? Once a week? Once a month? Does it have to be x deep dish slices consuked for every y thin crust slices? There are dozens upon dozens of deep dish joints outside of downtown, I don't think tourists are buying up all of those pizzas at any of the Chicago's Pizza locations.

People can obviously eat and enjoy whatever they want, but this idea that only tourists eat deep dish is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago