Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times

Advertisements

I believe the lack of "good" public schools are what keep most from considering living downtown. If you have young children, are there any viable options in downtown Chicago? Specifically, the Lakeshore East (I realize there's a lot of school drama going on here), River North or possibly Lakeview/Lincoln Park area (I know, not really downtown but keeping my options open)? Unfortunately, I'm one of those that will not pay high property taxes and then fork out tens of thousands on private school. Seems like this would be a high priority for Chicago in order to get affluent families to consider living downtown, but I guess not?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,366 times
I walk by the Ogden public school on my way to work downtown and there are plenty of affluent looking white people who send their kids there. It seems quite diverse from the kids that I see.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I believe the lack of "good" public schools are what keep most from considering living downtown. If you have young children, are there any viable options in downtown Chicago? Specifically, the Lakeshore East (I realize there's a lot of school drama going on here), River North or possibly Lakeview/Lincoln Park area (I know, not really downtown but keeping my options open)? Unfortunately, I'm one of those that will not pay high property taxes and then fork out tens of thousands on private school. Seems like this would be a high priority for Chicago in order to get affluent families to consider living downtown, but I guess not?
Downtown has excellent schools. Lakeshore East is getting a new primary school within the next year or two. The City is replacing the older Jones Prep High School building with a brand new one. They just replaced the Ogden primary school with a brand new Ogden International School.

In other words, you seem pretty ignorant to be throwing around a snotty "I guess not" attitude.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:46 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
The archdiocese has Francis Xavier Warde (K-6) in the West Loop .. The 'Cayenne Parade' starts at 0730 sharp , and it's one of the few schools I've seen that has a sworn CPD Officer doing crossing and traffic duty .. The upper grades transfer someplace Near North if they stay in the system ..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
The near west side has a lot of options close to the Loop: Whitney Young for HS, Galileo, Skinner North, Skinner West, and Jackson for elementary. South Loop Elem good down in that area as is Jones. There are good elementary schools in LP/RN (like Lincoln and LaSalle in addition to Ogden) and Peyton College Prep.

Take it from someone who used to live in Chicago but now lives in STL: of all the things to complain about in Chicago, access to quality public education for the children of upper middle class urban dwellers is not one of them.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

In other words, you seem pretty ignorant to be throwing around a snotty "I guess not" attitude.
I love you too, but I digress.
OK, so maybe it was a bit presumptive, but that's why I asked. I've been out of the loop (no pun intended) for many years, stuck here in Atlanta. From what I've read thus far, it appeared to be a sore spot with many living in the Lakeshore East area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
The 'Cayenne Parade' starts at 0730 sharp
Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The near west side has a lot of options close to the Loop: Whitney Young for HS, Galileo, Skinner North, Skinner West, and Jackson for elementary. South Loop Elem good down in that area as is Jones. There are good elementary schools in LP/RN (like Lincoln and LaSalle in addition to Ogden) and Peyton College Prep.

Take it from someone who used to live in Chicago but now lives in STL: of all the things to complain about in Chicago, access to quality public education for the children of upper middle class urban dwellers is not one of them.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Some of the options listed for the Downtown/Loop area ( e.g. Whitney Young) are not 'open enrollment', and there's lot's of competition for admission to the top 5 Public High Schools ( and the top Private schools , contrary to popular opinion, don't necessarily take everyone that can bankroll it, either) .. As an example, the 'residence High School for my address is Crane..er, no thanks...
I think that's what frustrates the 'upper middle' when trying to plan for schools for elementary and High School ..balancing the expense of the privates with the byzantine labyrinth one needs to traverse when trying to get ones kids into a 'better' elementary or High school ..There's hundreds of posts on CD Chicago about this .. So, the schools being close is half the battle .. Elementary seems a little better ..I thought I read they were going to expand/open a new CPD elementary in the South Loop to handle the increased demand . That has also been fed in recent years by folks that are unable or unwilling to sell their city digs in the current market and head to the 'burbs ..

Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
I think that's what frustrates the 'upper middle' when trying to plan for schools for elementary and High School ..balancing the expense of the privates with the byzantine labyrinth one needs to traverse when trying to get ones kids into a 'better' elementary or High school
Yeah, a good example of the labyrinth > Schools Near Lakeshore East | Education in our Community

So what school would my kids actually go to?

Which is unfortunately why we end up in the burbs where things are much more clear.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Do kids growing up in the burbs really get the better experience though?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM

The other 'drawback' to the 'burbs are the property taxes ..one way or the other, schools cost money .. Not sure the differential is such that it's even between relatively lower City of Chicago taxes + private education versus 'bedroom community' Property Tax rates .. There are vast differences in the rates between 'burbs ..some are downright frightening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago