Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
A whole $68.66 in 9 months huh? So in 40 years it will pay off
That's the only part I really paid attention to - because it means he would have only used about a tank and a half of gas over 8 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,681,075 times
It makes much more sense if it allows you to ditch a car completely and get by on zipcar and the like.

Gas, Insurance, Loan Payments, maintenance, repairs. It can add up.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,514 times
why is it so important for you to constantly mention how much your bike is worth? that only serves to obscure what might otherwise be a decent post.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
How much money and time have you spent measuring and recording your theoretical gas use?

Bikes are slower than trains (duh), but bikes are faster than trains in actual door-to-door time. Trains involve walking to the station, waiting for a train, and then walking to the destination. Train riders going to a time-sensitive destination are forced to leave extra early to allow for a potentially long wait.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
It has to be faster on a bike because you don't have to stop at stop signs, you can go the wrong way down a one way street and you don't have to observe any speed limits. You're saving the planet so you can do whatever you want !

Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It has to be faster on a bike because you don't have to stop at stop signs, you can go the wrong way down a one way street and you don't have to observe any speed limits. You're saving the planet so you can do whatever you want !
The real timesaver is when you can approach a 6-way intersection and just blast through it with no disregard for cars and right of way. You can shave 5-10 minutes off your commute with this method.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
A whole $68.66 in 9 months huh? So in 40 years it will pay off
Today I went to Melrose Park to Arby's to get their FREE sample sandwich, but it no longer exists and was turned into a Home Run Inn Pizza restaurant. First time I ate this Sausage & Mushroom pizza fresh, and not from the freezer. Then I went to Triton College, then the HIP Mall, back down Fullerton stopping by Harbor Freight, a Flip store, then Milwaukee to Western then home. Total miles - 25.7 mi - an ok workout but to get significant weight loss from a bike workout you should do 30+ miles. So today's bike ride was worth $5.75 in gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
why is it so important for you to constantly mention how much your bike is worth? that only serves to obscure what might otherwise be a decent post.
I commented on my bike costs through a post edit because the 2nd comment said you should get a good road bike instead of a hybrid, so I had to tell how much my bike was worth, you oversensitive *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
How much money and time have you spent measuring and recording your theoretical gas use?

I'm doing a long term study of how much gas I save by biking. So my time put into logging my gas savings is worth it. Plus I have a past history of how much gas costs.

Bikes are slower than trains (duh), but bikes are faster than trains in actual door-to-door time. Trains involve walking to the station, waiting for a train, and then walking to the destination. Train riders going to a time-sensitive destination are forced to leave extra early to allow for a potentially long wait.
Check my partial screenshoot of my current bike log. 91 rides and $74.71 saved in gas. Plus it saves a lot of wear from using your car for short trips, because a lot of wear comes from a car startup.
Attached Thumbnails
It's FASTER to Travel by Bike Than CTA!-bike-gas-save-log-2012.jpg  

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

That's all relative. Trains and actual door-to-door time..it depends on where you live. I live right near a train station and takes me exactly 2 minutes to get there. 2 minutes is not going to make or break this type of thing. Not only that, but there's things like Google and phone apps that let you know exactly when the next train is coming. I leave exactly 2-3 minutes earlier and almost never wait for a train near my place or even work because I know exactly how to time things so I barely wait.

Unless you're going a short distance, the train will be faster than a bike many, many times.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM

If you're a person who doesn't have the luxury of living as close to an el station, maybe even transfers to a bus once off the el, that's a whole new set of variables that a bicycle could (possibly) succeed in.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
If you're a person who doesn't have the luxury of living as close to an el station, maybe even transfers to a bus once off the el, that's a whole new set of variables that a bicycle could (possibly) succeed in.
Possibly, but thanks to technology it's a lot easier to time things. My girlfriend lives 4 blocks away from an el station, but it's easy for me to just say "hey the ___ bus is coming in 5 minutes" and it barely takes any time to get to the el station versus walking.

There's a whole set of variables and it all depends on many things basically, and I love biking, but if you're going long distances...even if you have to walk for 2 blocks to get to the el station, if you're going 4 miles, you're still going to get to your destination faster than if you rode a bike. Most people cannot keep a 16 mph or more pace up for an entire 4 minutes, especially in a city with traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago