Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,453 times

Advertisements

Bus stops absolutely need to be moved farther apart, and bus boarding needs to be faster. Even the weak sidewalk-riding or salmoning cyclists can probably ride about the same speed as buses; any normal cyclist can blow by buses like they're standing still (except in the neighborhood where nobody rides the bus and hence they don't stop as frequently).

My commute is 7.5 miles and it clocks in about the same whether I bike or CTA (1.5 miles on bus to blue line). However, I am literally the only cyclist on Milwaukee that waits at red lights* so take that into account. It's probably be 10 minutes faster if I went with the flow.

*I don't mind because I love sitting back and watching the shoalers and red light burners almost get left or right hooked while I hang back and enjoy my ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,169,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
...I am ...the only cyclist on Milwaukee that waits at red lights
Well then, THANK YOU. I wish the others would follow your lead.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
However, I am literally the only cyclist on Milwaukee that waits at red lights* so take that into account. It's probably be 10 minutes faster if I went with the flow.
I have been waiting at red lights on Milwaukee and every other city street since ~ 1981.

The only light I will blow (with glee) is at Illinois when on the screwy sidewalk quasi-bike lane on lower LSD. That light's timing is downright offensive to pedestrians and cyclists both, I'd happily take a ticket so I could have my 15 minutes in court to rant about it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
I was talking to a fellow suburban cyclist after the Tuesday night hammer-fest and he used to commute by bike in Chicago. He was telling me about a plan to add 35 miles of separated bike lanes. This is the real answer to providing a much safer experience for cyclist and driver alike. When I was in Montreal in August, I enjoyed their separated lanes tremendously. I believe NYC has been doing this as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,169,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I was talking to a fellow suburban cyclist after the Tuesday night hammer-fest and he used to commute by bike in Chicago. He was telling me about a plan to add 35 miles of separated bike lanes. This is the real answer to providing a much safer experience for cyclist and driver alike. When I was in Montreal in August, I enjoyed their separated lanes tremendously. I believe NYC has been doing this as well.
We need separated bike lanes badly!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM

278 posts, read 636,830 times
As a daily cyclist I must say, I ****ing hate cyclists. 90% of you ride like completely ****ing idiots. You making EVERYONE, pedestrians and drivers, hate us. You give us a terrible name. You blow through red lights like morons and then we're supposed to feel all sorry for you when you get killed. You weave in front of cars like you're invincible. You act like because you're on a bike, you always have the right of way. With your stupid god damn brakeless fixies you can't be bothered to stop for anything or anyone. You ride the wrong way down one way streets at night without lights like half-retard imbeciles, expecting cars to not expect your dumb ass to be there when traffic is supposed to flow in ONE direction. You don't observe the rules of the road like everyone else has to to provide a safe transportation environment.

Again, I bike everyday, but the behavior of other cyclists in this city has turned my into a self-loathing cyclist.

Rant over.

On another note, I often beat buses and trains on my bike if you take into account walking to train stops, waiting at train stop, etc... Basically, biking is about the same amount of total time. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It saves money in gas, car insurance, city parking/stickers, and tickets. I don't give a damn about the environment so that's not a factor for my decision to bike. It's inevitable that the world will eventually be polluted beyond salvation, resources will run out, human beings will die out, and planet earth will recycle itself. I'm really not concerned about it. It's mostly speed, convenience, cost.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,681,075 times
If I buy a more expensive bike does that mean I can go faster?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
As a daily cyclist I must say, I ****ing hate cyclists. 90% of you ride like completely ****ing idiots. You making EVERYONE, pedestrians and drivers, hate us. You give us a terrible name. You blow through red lights like morons and then we're supposed to feel all sorry for you when you get killed. You weave in front of cars like you're invincible. You act like because you're on a bike, you always have the right of way. With your stupid god damn brakeless fixies you can't be bothered to stop for anything or anyone. You ride the wrong way down one way streets at night without lights like half-retard imbeciles, expecting cars to not expect your dumb ass to be there when traffic is supposed to flow in ONE direction. You don't observe the rules of the road like everyone else has to to provide a safe transportation environment.

Again, I bike everyday, but the behavior of other cyclists in this city has turned my into a self-loathing cyclist.

Rant over.

On another note, I often beat buses and trains on my bike if you take into account walking to train stops, waiting at train stop, etc... Basically, biking is about the same amount of total time. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It saves money in gas, car insurance, city parking/stickers, and tickets. I don't give a damn about the environment so that's not a factor for my decision to bike. It's inevitable that the world will eventually be polluted beyond salvation, resources will run out, human beings will die out, and planet earth will recycle itself. I'm really not concerned about it. It's mostly speed, convenience, cost.

I have to agree with you about cyclists, in general.

Most don't obey the rules of the road, or traffic lights; many will weave in between moving cars, and act surprised when one almost hits them; they will ride the wrong way on one-way streets, and many have no concern for pedestrians when using the sidewalks ( and I have no problem with bikes on sidewalks).

I could say that bikers need a better PR campaign, but what they really need to practice better behavior.

The above is true, whether in Chicago, Boston, or any other American city..

Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
the thing I hate about cyclists is when im in a car, and I am aware of them and I dont want to hit them or get too close to them, or have them accidentally swipe across my car as i drive too close to them on the passenger side.

So i try to speed up a bit in order to pass them, but without being unsafe, anyway, i do all that and then a red light ges me, so then i sit there and the dang bike rider passes me up!! All that work to try to avoid them and then it does no good.

thats the only thing that bugs me about bikers, oh and also when they ride too fast and too close past me on the cement walk way along the lake.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I have to agree with you about cyclists, in general.

Most don't obey the rules of the road, or traffic lights; many will weave in between moving cars, and act surprised when one almost hits them; they will ride the wrong way on one-way streets, and many have no concern for pedestrians when using the sidewalks ( and I have no problem with bikes on sidewalks).

I could say that bikers need a better PR campaign, but what they really need to practice better behavior.

The above is true, whether in Chicago, Boston, or any other American city..
And this is mainly because biking on city streets intimidates many people, leaving 'cyclists' comprised mainly of young adult men. Just like young adult men are more likely to be aggressive drivers and take unnecessary risks there, they're more likely to be aggressive cyclists and take unnecessary risks in that mode as well.

Combine that with some of the bad laws (cyclists having to follow the same rules of the road as cars, when natural human behavior operating a bike is very different than operating a car), you get all the bad cyclist behavior that exists now.

Which is why I think the current push for safer bike infrastructure will be a good thing. The more biking in the city can be perceived as safe, the more cyclists you will have on city streets who aren't 25 year old men. I'd also like to see a few laws changed (see the Idaho stop law) combined with a crackdown on the actual reckless cycling that you'll find if you just sit a few cops at a few high traffic intersections occassionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago