Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Spend time in Chicago, and you see what is just common sense. Come on. It's a major city, not some clean well kept suburb. Stuff happens from time to time (as it would in comparable foot traffic neighborhoods in NY, SF, DC, etc.), but it's hardly the norm and certainly no worse than anywhere I've been that has any kind of urban population.
Exactly.

Here's my best guess: The OP came from a lilly-white suburb or small town. She moved to Chicago, living in the most lilly-white ritzy "safe" neighborhoods she could find, and was naively blissful for a long time until one day she realized that, ZOMG, crime can still happen in those places! She was scared. She moved Dallas, where she lives in either a lilly-white suburb or one of those equally so faux-urban "urban renewal" kinds of neighborhoods. She now feels safe again, or will until she realizes there is crime there, too.

Now she must warn us all! The actual facts (i.e. the crime statistics) aren't going to scare us enough, though, so she has to invent outrageous racist BS. Black people are invading white neighborhoods to attack them! There are stabbings constantly every night on every block everywhere! There's a conspiracy to make sure nobody finds out about it! It's such a good conspiracy, in fact, that nobody who lives right where it's happening even knows about it, but a random chick in Dallas has the inside scoop!

Or she's just a troll, in which case, congrats to her for her little victory. She could even be the same person who started the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You are so wrong to generalize about the west and the south sides.
You're talking to someone who thinks Lakeview is a war zone. The South and West sides may as well be Venus and Mars to her.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
I'd caution against pretending that specific area isn't full of crimes. Go do a search on the police database and you will be stunned. The key piece of data that counters it is crime per capita, which is hard to determine when you're talking about an area which such massive pedestrian traffic. There is lots of crime, it just isn't likely to affect the vast, vast majority of people. I don't think that can be said for Englewood.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'd caution against pretending that specific area isn't full of crimes. Go do a search on the police database and you will be stunned. The key piece of data that counters it is crime per capita, which is hard to determine when you're talking about an area which such massive pedestrian traffic. There is lots of crime, it just isn't likely to affect the vast, vast majority of people. I don't think that can be said for Englewood.
I don't think anyone is debating that. If she had just reported the actual crime statistics, nobody would have had a problem with it.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yeah, dude, your depiction of Lakeview as a scene out of the movie "Colors" is totally accurate.
Heh. Gang violence in Boystown is more likely to resemble "West Side Story" -- well-choreographed and with adorable "tough guy" costumes.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Here's my best guess: The OP came from a lilly-white suburb or small town. She moved to Chicago, living in the most lilly-white ritzy "safe" neighborhoods she could find, and was naively blissful for a long time until one day she realized that, ZOMG, crime can still happen in those places! She was scared. She moved Dallas, where she lives in either a lilly-white suburb or one of those equally so faux-urban "urban renewal" kinds of neighborhoods. She now feels safe again, or will until she realizes there is crime there, too.

Now she must warn us all! The actual facts (i.e. the crime statistics) aren't going to scare us enough, though, so she has to invent outrageous racist BS. Black people are invading white neighborhoods to attack them! There are stabbings constantly every night on every block everywhere! There's a conspiracy to make sure nobody finds out about it! It's such a good conspiracy, in fact, that nobody who lives right where it's happening even knows about it, but a random chick in Dallas has the inside scoop!
Quoted for hilarity.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
Although I live in Lincoln Park, I have walked up to Lakeview, like around Belmont and Halsted, and have seen the groups of teenagers hanging around there. The SMARTGXL is not lying about that; it is a real phenomenon. How serious or intense, I dont know. I have also seen them down on Chicago ave before too. It is a nuisance, but for now, I just ignore it.

-Link Parker, esq.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I think it's also quite frequently people who couldn't hack it in Chicago, moved away with a chip on their shoulder, and are devoting their lives to bashing the city on the internet.
This is the one and only thing I've learned from my countless hours wasted reading the comments to Trib articles online. Most of the posts say things like, "I live in Phoenix now. Thank God I got the hell out of Chicago when I could!" The people who actually experience the city on a daily basis know better.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Look, OP, just move to Lakeview or Lincoln Park like everybody else and you won't have to worry about those bad, scary black people. Problem solved.
lol!!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysomethingtransplant View Post

I thought crime in L.A. was bad, but it sounds like Chicago is on its way to becoming the next Detroit. Am I making a mistake? I don't want to fear for my safety on a regular basis. This is very alarming.
Instead of reading anecdotal reports from posters, city-data has lots of good crime stats which gives you a better idea. If you think Chicago is worse than LA, you're right. The good news, the crime has dropped over the years, even in Chicago.

US average crime rate

Chicago
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

LA
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Other cities:
NYC
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Atlanta
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

Dallas
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Dallas-Texas.html

Minneapolis
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html

Washington DC
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Columbia.html

San Francisco
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Miami
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Miami-Florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago