Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Whatever. Look, if my choices were to live in Mpls again, or in a box under the freeway here in Chicago, I'd build a box fortress and call it a day. No hyperbole.

Okay, maybe a little bit. But not much.
To each their own, but as someone who grew up in Minnesota, and has lived in both a small city outside of the Minneapolis area, Minneapolis, a small city in Iowa, and Chicago amongst others outside....the majority of Minneapolis is nothing like rural midwest. Two very different worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Sure thing, Peggy Sue.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
It's subjective. For me, it's important to adjust to each new place for what that place is, not isn't. You will possibly need to seek out some things, people, places of which you like, but they will exist in the different places. Also, despite some differences and similarities, Chicago is very Midwestern in feel for me, as are the other mentioned places. If I'm seeking a more significant difference in feel, it'd be outside of the Midwest.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Great post and your situation applies to others, in other areas of the country with this economy.

I'd say go where you can find a decent paying job and affordable housing.
Chicago's a fantastic city and I can imagine this is a very tough dilemma, but Chicago will wait for your return?

If you do move, you can look it as a temporary thing, which at the same time, will give you experience, and another notch on your resume... As I'm sure you're aware, the longer you're out of work, the harder it will be to get work.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Whatever. Look, if my choices were to live in Mpls again, or in a box under the freeway here in Chicago, I'd build a box fortress and call it a day. No hyperbole.

Seriously, kidding aside, Mpls's idea of open-minded is "Oh, look, we have some colored people, and even some gays." This is a place where black pepper is considered spicy. This is a place where soft shell crab is exotic. This is a place where even the Thai food is bland. This is a place where people wear jeans to the theatre. This a place where the biggest city, Mpls, where I lived for years, shuts down promptly at 10 pm, and we will all be goddamned if we ever want to grab something to eat at 3:30 in the morning. This is the only town I've ever been in my entire life where the cabbies drive too slow. This is the place where **** actually closes down on Sunday. That whole town is a joke. It's a step up from Owatonna, but I'll be in a cold, dark grave before I pretend it's worth living in compared to Chicago.
Ease up here a little, Ms. Provocative ..

And just how often do you need to go out for take-out at 3:30 AM?

Your tastes, culinary and otherwise, change a bit as you get older; you might not want to live in a 24-hour city when you've aged a bit, or have a family..

To the OP: If things are really that dead in Chicago, then perhaps a visit to Cincinnati is in order, if it's in the budget. I don't know, offhand, what the unemployment rates are in both Chicago and Cincinnati are though..

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:

Seriously, kidding aside, Mpls's idea of open-minded is "Oh, look, we have some colored people, and even some gays." This is a place where black pepper is considered spicy. This is a place where soft shell crab is exotic. This is a place where even the Thai food is bland. This is a place where people wear jeans to the theatre. This a place where the biggest city, Mpls, where I lived for years, shuts down promptly at 10 pm, and we will all be goddamned if we ever want to grab something to eat at 3:30 in the morning. This is the only town I've ever been in my entire life where the cabbies drive too slow. This is the place where **** actually closes down on Sunday. That whole town is a joke. It's a step up from Owatonna, but I'll be in a cold, dark grave before I pretend it's worth living in compared to Chicago.
Not everyone wants a late night jet set lifestyle. And Chicago's not even the best city for that in this country.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Ease up here a little, Ms. Provocative ..

And just how often do you need to go out for take-out at 3:30 AM?

Your tastes, culinary and otherwise, change a bit as you get older; you might not want to live in a 24-hour city when you've aged a bit, or have a family..
I'm very seldom in the market for a 3:30am sandwich, but a town that shuts down promptly at dusk is borderline uninhabitable. Also, may I never live to an age where hot dish is considered an acceptable meal.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It doesn't matter if it's good for someone's psyche or not, that wasn't my point. My point was that people enjoy the mentality. It doesn't matter if it's good for you or not. Millions of people in this country drink tons of alcohol but it's not good for them either. We can debate that all we want too.
That because you believe you will actually make it, get ahead and feel comfortable. Once you realize being on that rat race it wasting precious time, resources and energy. Things that you can never get back in your life.
You waste all your time think about getting ahead. Everything and everyone is competition and that is what your life ends up revolving around.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Not every city in the Midwest excepting Chicago is rust belt or failing.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
I'm very seldom in the market for a 3:30am sandwich, but a town that shuts down promptly at dusk is borderline uninhabitable. Also, may I never live to an age where hot dish is considered an acceptable meal.
What's hot dish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago