Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 PM

83 posts, read 240,490 times

Advertisements

I have a weil-mclain standing pilot water boiler heat with a Honeywell thermostat. I can't figure out how to turn the thing on.

There is a green light that is on all the time.

I tried to turn the thermostat to the max heat 90 degrees, nothing happens.

I followed the user manual to light up the pilot by turning to the gas control knob to off, wait for 5 minutes then turn on again but the pilot light is not lit.

I'm scared to light the pilot using a match as I may blow up something.

I have attached a few photos. Please help. :yes::thumbup:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM

211 posts, read 395,059 times
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU MESS UP. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.
DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE IN THIS POST.

In those pics, I see a computer control panel. If the green light is on, it must be receiving electricity. Without bothering the furnace, and assuming you DO NOT SMELL ANY GAS, turn your thermostat all the way up (not down). If the furnace won't come on after five minutes you need a repair person.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
If you are a renter, call your landlord. If you are not a renter call your local gas company and ask them if they will come out and check your furnace for a gas leak. If the gas company won't do it call a professional to come and check your furance to make sure it is winter ready and they can light it for you after it is determined that the furnace is fully functional. Also, we have an electric mattress pad on our bed and they are wonderful and not real expensive, you might try one of those. We used to have electric blankets but the electric mattress pad is much more convenient and only need to be removed to be washed with the rest of the linens and has controls for each side of the pad that can be adjusted as wanted.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU MESS UP. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.
DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE IN THIS POST.

In those pics, I see a computer control panel. If the green light is on, it must be receiving electricity. Without bothering the furnace, and assuming you DO NOT SMELL ANY GAS, turn your thermostat all the way up (not down). If the furnace won't come on after five minutes you need a repair person.
I did that, no heat coming out after 30 mins.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are a renter, call your landlord. If you are not a renter call your local gas company and ask them if they will come out and check your furnace for a gas leak. If the gas company won't do it call a professional to come and check your furance to make sure it is winter ready and they can light it for you after it is determined that the furnace is fully functional. Also, we have an electric mattress pad on our bed and they are wonderful and not real expensive, you might try one of those. We used to have electric blankets but the electric mattress pad is much more convenient and only need to be removed to be washed with the rest of the linens and has controls for each side of the pad that can be adjusted as wanted.
I'm with peoplegas. Do you know if they come to check for gas leak for free? I'll call them tomorrow. If I get the electric mattress, I won't be able to get out of bed in the morning when its so warm and comfy in bed but cold out of bed.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Do you pay your gas bill or is heat included with the apartment? If it's the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if the main gas line to the heater is shut off. If you pay your own gas bill call the landlord to check the heater and People's Gas to check the gas line.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 AM

80 posts, read 268,609 times
Best guess is that you need to light the pilot light. Find someone who knows how to light the pilot and see if that solves the problem.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
If you own your home, pay for a service call and have the service guy show you how things work. Boilers should be checked annually anyway.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,440,150 times
Your pilot is out. Light your pilot with a match. You won't blow up anything.
Pilots often go out when a unit hasn't been used since the spring.

Don't waste $100 on a service call just to light your pilot. It's the equivalent of not having your computer plugged in, and calling Dell repair.

If you can't get your pilot lit, THEN you might need more extreme measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago