Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Give it time, once the economy starts coming back around. Development and investment will pick back up in Douglas and Bronzeville as the north side and south loop is only so large.
Yep, and I would hope the development wouldn't be necessarily expensive housing. If they could develop things and keep it within $1000/month for a 1 bedroom, it would be awesome..and still have its own identity.

I know, wishful thinking...but the last thing we need is another Lincoln Park. That would probably be hard, especially given the proximity of Douglas/Bronzeville to the Loop. I have a friend in Bronzeville who likes it, but he always states how there's nothing to do around there. I know there's a few nice apartment complexes in Bronzeville now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 01:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, and I would hope the development wouldn't be necessarily expensive housing. If they could develop things and keep it within $1000/month for a 1 bedroom, it would be awesome..and still have its own identity.

I know, wishful thinking...but the last thing we need is another Lincoln Park
Probably not. You're going to pay for proximity to the loop and short commutes. The people investing in this are doing to make a profit, and the most profit is in 'luxury apartments.'
When's the last time you've seen an advertisement for 'mid-level living' and thought 'ohh, I want to live there!'

Quote:
That would probably be hard, especially given the proximity of Douglas/Bronzeville to the Loop. I have a friend in Bronzeville who likes it, but he always states how there's nothing to do around there. I know there's a few nice apartment complexes in Bronzeville now.
You'd have to buy around now to lock in your cost while it's still relatively affordable.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Probably not. You're going to pay for proximity to the loop and short commutes. The people investing in this are doing to make a profit, and the most profit is in 'luxury apartments.'
When's the last time you've seen an advertisement for 'mid-level living' and thought 'ohh, I want to live there!'
For a typical boring young professional, yeah I know. It won't happen in those neighborhoods. Other neighborhoods like Logan Square, part of UK Village, and Pilsen are lucky because the development was there along the transit line. There's some near the Indiana Green Line stop, but yeah, it's not necessarily the balance between housing stock and stores/restaurants/bars that other areas have.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I think it'll happen -- eventually.

Look at places like Ukie Village and Humboldt park. It wasn't very long ago they were considered 'scary places.'

Old 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I think it'll happen -- eventually.

Look at places like Ukie Village and Humboldt park. It wasn't very long ago there wasn't much going on there except shootings.
There's still a lot of shootings going on in Humboldt Park. There's some small parts that are not that dangerous now, but HP is a big neighborhood area wise.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
There's still a lot of shootings going on in Humboldt Park. There's some small parts that are not that dangerous now, but HP is a big neighborhood area wise.
True, but it's well on the way to turning around. Look at 'West Bucktown.' I use UK and HP as an example as the public transit isn't all that spectacular there as well.

Point is there is some interest and reason to go, as opposed to previously 'stay out at all costs.'
I think you can bank on seeing similar action heading south starting in Bronzeville.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:
In all honesty, a lot of development can be spurred by ease of public transit. There's a reason why on the north side and west sides in the popular neighborhoods, you have a lot of establishments within an easy walking distance of the L. The problem with the L on the South Side is that the train stations are right in the middle in the freeway, and then there's surface roads ontop of that on the side that the NW side doesn't necessarily have for awhile.

I really wish the L went through Hyde Park and down to Jackson Park, not the Metra.
As one who is living out in Beverly at the moment, I really agree with this, that public transportation will be key to incorporating and developing the south side. We have a good Metra link to downtown, but that's it - and actually, by "good" I mean that it's a nice direct train ride . . . when it goes. The schedule, especially on weekends (and during parts of the weekdays/evenings) is really inconvenient.

It's really pleasant out here, but you do get to feeling a bit stranded sometimes, and it's a hassle (especially on weekends and in the evenings) to have to think SO much about when the trains will be (or won't be) coming.

Another little feature that needs correcting in my opinion is that Beverly is dry (alcohol-wise). Not that I want a bar at every corner, or anything, but I think the restaurants here would be better and busier if they weren't prohibited from serving alcohol. But who knows, maybe having it be dry is creating an atmosphere that I don't even know I'm enjoying.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
As one who is living out in Beverly at the moment, I really agree with this, that public transportation will be key to incorporating and developing the south side. We have a good Metra link to downtown, but that's it - and actually, by "good" I mean that it's a nice direct train ride . . . when it goes. The schedule, especially on weekends (and during parts of the weekdays/evenings) is really inconvenient.

It's really pleasant out here, but you do get to feeling a bit stranded sometimes, and it's a hassle (especially on weekends and in the evenings) to have to think SO much about when the trains will be (or won't be) coming.

Another little feature that needs correcting in my opinion is that Beverly is dry (alcohol-wise). Not that I want a bar at every corner, or anything, but I think the restaurants here would be better and busier if they weren't prohibited from serving alcohol. But who knows, maybe having it be dry is creating an atmosphere that I don't even know I'm enjoying.
I thought there were bars on the west side of Western? I think only part of it is dry.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
I believe the west side of Western is Evergreen Park. Maybe there are parts along Western where that isn't so; I could be wrong.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I believe the west side of Western is Evergreen Park. Maybe there are parts along Western where that isn't so; I could be wrong.
There are bars on the west side of Western in the city limits, the most well known of course being Cork and Kerry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago