Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 PM

28 posts, read 66,904 times

Advertisements

I went to rush/division for the second time this weekend and really had a blast.
I just loved being surrounded,by so many ppl even though all the bars werent my scene. what neighborhood or blocks would I have to live in to be in walking distance of that area. or a short train ride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM

101 posts, read 171,842 times
Near North, though you could live in the lower blocks of Lincoln Park and walk/bike there. Train ride would be any neighborhood the Red Line runs along. Clark/Division would be the main stop.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM

28 posts, read 66,904 times
there isnt any specific neighborhood ,Im trying to look for place close
especially one with in reasonable walking distance.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
Gold Coast. Sandburg Village.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
this

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
It's Gold Coast mainly.

Sandburg Village and Old Town are easily walkable to it and, to a certain extent, parts of River North, Streeterville and Lincoln Park are also within walking distance.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,079 times
The intersection does not exist

Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,061 times
A more interesting question is 'What do you call the neighborhood directly south of that?'

On maps it is just the 'Near North Side.' The Gold Coast ends at Oak Street by some definitions.

Some people contend River North stretches north all the way to Chicago Avenue. That seems too far to me.

In any event I just call the area between the Gold Coast and River North 'downtown.'

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
I don't think very many people contend that River North ends before Chicago Ave in the western portion of the district seeing as the officially-designated River North Gallery District is along Superior and Huron, the two streets immediately south of Chicago Ave. Traditionally, though, most people didn't really consider River North to be east of Dearborn or Clark, or even Lasalle, on the northern edge. Like any popular area, the borders are being expanded for it.

Along State Street I think it could be the "Cathedral District" between about Ontario and Oak Street along State Street. That's probably what I'd call it. You could also call it Washington Square, since that's the name of that park south of the Newberry Library. East of State Street you could pretty safely just lump it into the Michigan Avenue corridor, too. I dont' personally object to it being called Gold Coast, since those buildings along East Lake Shore Drive (or whatever it's called) share a lot with the rest of the Gold Coast and the level of money is certainly there that helps define the Gold Coast.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,061 times
As I understand it Al Freidman essentially created River North in the 90s gobbling up the following buildings, most heavily concentrated down Clark, Illinois, Grand and particularly Hubbard.

I suppose I always think of River North as a Johnny come lately marketing tag used to slap on this district that was formerly an empty warehouse district but became popular in the 90s.

That's why I don't understand how people are now stretching it to encompass swaths of downtown that weren't revitalized or in need of revitalization and were formerly just called 'Downtown.'

I've never heard anyone down there refer to themselves as living in the Cathedral District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago