Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should having dogs be illegal in densely populated areas like Chicago?
Yes 11 12.94%
No 74 87.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times

Advertisements

If a city has dog ordinances they should be enforced. Where I live we have a leash law that says you cannot let your dog run loose. I don't own a dog but do like well behaved dogs. I can't tolarate a dog barking for hours when I'm trying to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
If a city has dog ordinances they should be enforced. Where I live we have a leash law that says you cannot let your dog run loose. I don't own a dog but do like well behaved dogs. I can't tolarate a dog barking for hours when I'm trying to sleep.
I think that is all reasonable. It's not really the dog's fault that he is not properly trained, it's the owners.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Disliking cats makes sense; cats are predators and big cats often eat people. A fear and dislike of cats might be natural selection at work.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I love my 2 dogs more than I love most people. I wouldn't live anywhere that I could not have them. That said, I am also a conscientious pet owner: I clean up after them, and I do not allow them to be nuisance barkers (Which is challenging with my old beagle) if they're in the yard and start spazzing out and barking, I bring them inside, simple as that. They are never left unattended in my yard. I had a neighbor that used to let their dog poop on my front easement and wouldn't clean up after them. All I had to do to remedy that was catch them in the act, and hand them a plastic bag saying "You're gonna need this" and it never happened again.
Neighbors across the street have a bunch of dogs that they keep outdoors behind their house and the dogs bark all the time. When I have tried to talk to them about it, suddenly they don't speak English. I've called the cops, but they have done nothing to intervene. Those people give dog owners like me a bad name.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM

223 posts, read 246,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. I just don't like them bark and poo. And I don't like my neighbor's dog which wakes me up before my alarm clock goes off. As well as those whose owners 'forget' to clean my front yard after them.... I don't care about cats because they don't generate noise and usually poo somewhere in the bushes....
Yah that kinda blows when people are irresponsible but you can't blame the dog for the owners poor actions. But you can definitely blame the owner and go to the authorities. I've had a dog most of my life and he's great. I've had no issues but I don't allow them to have issues. Issues can be corrected. It's again just whether the owner will do that.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Yah that kinda blows when people are irresponsible but you can't blame the dog for the owners poor actions. But you can definitely blame the owner and go to the authorities. I've had a dog most of my life and he's great. I've had no issues but I don't allow them to have issues. Issues can be corrected. It's again just whether the owner will do that.
Exactly. This is liking saying you don't like kids because every once in a while you run into misbehaved children that the parents don't discipline. It's not the kids fault its the parents.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
It's not the kids fault its the parents.
Yeah, I don't like them either.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
lol, of course not. Barking dogs can be annoying...especially at night. Some owners are clueless.

I also agree with the assertion that those who don't like dogs lack souls.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
You can't even prove that having a soul exists at all, much less determine that someone has or hasn't got one based on their attitude toward dogs.

I grew up with a cat in the house, the dogs I knew as a kid were loud, smelly and if they were nice wanted to lick me. which I find extremely unpleasant, disgusting actually. So get off your high horse, I'd much rather have a cat. The only dogs i do like are the small ones that do not bark or lick me.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You can't even prove that having a soul exists at all, much less determine that someone has or hasn't got one based on their attitude toward dogs.

I grew up with a cat in the house, the dogs I knew as a kid were loud, smelly and if they were nice wanted to lick me. which I find extremely unpleasant, disgusting actually. So get off your high horse, I'd much rather have a cat. The only dogs i do like are the small ones that do not bark or lick me.
Like I said, if you had a dog your opinion would change. I bet if you never had a cat growing up you probably wouldn't like cats either. With cats and dogs, they really become part of the family and you appreciate them for what they are and what they bring to a household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: