Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

29 posts, read 138,395 times

Advertisements

I want to move and at first thought about the northwest, but jobs don’t look as promising as they do in larger cities, especially in the field I’m changing to, (broadcasting). I believe I’d have better luck in a city. Either way it’s been difficult decision because I do love many things about the wide-open northwest like the mountains, lakes, animal, etc, but I also love the convenience of the city like getting around by either trains, or cabs. A quick walk to the corner store when you need something is nice. And something is always open. I’m from Brooklyn, NY, but currently live in Florida (almost a year now) and there is no corner store to walk to, plus it’s too hot for me. You clean house, you sweat! Take a cool shower, come out you sweat. I’m an outdoor girl who is made to stay inside, who wants to go out in this heat! The intense heat makes me feel like I’m being suffocated.
So I have decided on two places, Chicago, or just going back home to NY. I’m siding a bit more toward Chicago because New York is really expensive, and I believe Chicago is a bit cheaper to live, though I don’t know have never been there. It’s hard to get all the information you need being in a different state. Chicago makes sense for me for another reason too. I'm a big sports fan and have always been a fan of Chicago teams. So If there’s anyone out there that can give me the low-down on the differences between the two, and there similarities on what I might be facing I’d appreciate the help. I’ve read lots of post and heard a lot of bad things about Chicago, but come on can’t be all that bad?
Also it would help if any dog owners might be able to advise me on if there are any apartments who except large dogs. I have a German shepherd who’s now 12. My most loyal and trusted friend that I would never give up. I do have a pickup truck and would like to know if apartment buildings have parking, or is it just street parking. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky95 View Post
I do have a pickup truck and would like to know if apartment buildings have parking, or is it just street parking. Thanks.
Just an FYI, but some wards don't allow pickup trucks to park on the street.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
You're right, Chicago is cheaper than NYC. I think that you really need to come and visit the city before making any decisions.
Regarding dogs, yes, many apartments allow dogs. There are also several dog parks in the city that are great for getting your dog out to socialize.
Regarding parking, there is generally the option of street parking, but in some neighborhoods it is more difficult than others!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Reply: Via Chicago, and Jessiegirl98

Thanks for the responses, I did not know that pickup truck parking might present a problem, this is needed info thanks. and it isn't a small truck either, i have a 4 four door Titan.

Jessiegirl,
Thanks, your right I do need to visit which I was planning to do, it just can't be for some time. So I had thought that while I was waiting to go, I could find out stuff from other's who live or have lived in the city. I seen many pic and it looks fairly close to what I had thought. Kinda like NY a bit, but on a smaller scale. It's nice to know they have lots of dog parks. Husky loves to socialize with other dogs and people. I've just had a hard time researching apartments that will take a 70-pound Shepherd. Most I've seen through rent.com and other have said 40lbs or less.
thanks to both of you for the info.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:38 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Try craigslist for apartments. You might have better luck there.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky95 View Post
Thanks for the responses, I did not know that pickup truck parking might present a problem, this is needed info thanks. and it isn't a small truck either, i have a 4 four door Titan.

Jessiegirl,
Thanks, your right I do need to visit which I was planning to do, it just can't be for some time. So I had thought that while I was waiting to go, I could find out stuff from other's who live or have lived in the city. I seen many pic and it looks fairly close to what I had thought. Kinda like NY a bit, but on a smaller scale. It's nice to know they have lots of dog parks. Husky loves to socialize with other dogs and people. I've just had a hard time researching apartments that will take a 70-pound Shepherd. Most I've seen through rent.com and other have said 40lbs or less.
thanks to both of you for the info.
I see you are moving from Tampa. I'm in Tampa for a year and then will be heading right back to Chicago
Definitly don't look for an apartment on rent.com. I would use the chicago reader (Chicago Reader Online Features), craigslist or a free apartment search service (apartment people, homestead group, apartment guys, etc). You can definitly find a place that allows dogs that size. I have a husky/shepard mix, so I understand!

Here is a list of dog parks in Chicago:
Challenger Playlot Park -1100 W. Irving Park Rd Chicago
Churchill Field Park Dog Park -1825 N. Damen Ave. Chicago
Coliseum Park Dog Park -1466 S. Wabash Ave. Chicago
Grant Park Bark Park -9th and Columbus Chicago
Hamlin Park Dog Park -3035 N. Hoyne Ave. Chicago
Margate Park Dog Park -4921 N. Marine Drive Chicago
Noethling (Grace) Park Dog Park -2645 N. Sheffield Ave. Chicago
River Park Dog Park -5100 N. Francisco Ave Chicago
Walsh Park Dog Park -1722 N. Ashland Ave. Chicago
Wicker Park Dog Park -1425 N. Damen Ave. Chicago

I also took my dog to Lucky Dog for daycare/boarding at times. Lucky Dog Pet Service
It was good for wearing her out and she LOVED it!

Oh, also check out usa3000 for really cheap flights between St. Petes and Chicago. I've booked flights for $120 between the two. Might be helpful when you come to check out the city

Good luck with the move.

Last edited by mdz; 10-16-2007 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: you accidentally typed in a link to a xxx site, you don't want that link on here ;)

Old 10-16-2007, 02:28 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I love Chicago... Much of it is closer to Brooklyn than Manhattan, but most neighborhoods are even a little less dense. There aren't nearly as many rowhouses, but they do exist here, which is pretty rare away from the East Coast. Most buildings are two-flats, three-flats, or six-flats (two three-flats attached and mirroring each other). You can often rent parking off of the street, though pick-up trucks are a rarity. In fact, they're not allowed on Lakeshore Drive or any "boulevard" or "parkway"!

Chicago's a great town, and I'm not sure what "bad stuff" you've heard about it. It's a bit cold here in the winter, but it's really only a few degrees worse than NY. Other than that, it's a great place to live.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Advice On Chicago Response

Wow, this great information. I will check the places recommended by all of you Thanks to all
lookout Kid,
That's a good comparison. Being from Brooklyn, I understand completely. I can see it more in my mind. It being a bit less dense is nice. Having a truck is going to bring about problems. Not being allowed on certain roads is kinda of a dilemma. How would an SUV be? I've would be willing to trade in the truck if thats going to be a problem.
The cold winters you addressed wouldn't be a problem for me. I like the cold, snow etc. I think my blood runs a little warmer than most for some strange reason. Cause Florida heat is just awful. It looks like a great place to live from the pics, documentaries, and movies I've seen. The bad stuff was just a thread I read when I was looking at the Chicago statistic data on this site, it was just normal stuff like taxes, crime, roads, traffic, things of this nature. I can't remember what thread it was, but it seemed like a group who live there, at least I hope they do, were complaining. Crime is something I think about cause I am a female, but its worse where I live. within a five miles from me are about 210 sex offenders. and that's only five miles. So where ever you go you have to be cautious. The good out weighs the bad to me. I've heard more good about Chicago than bad. thanks for the information it really helps.
jessiegirl98
Yes, I am in Tampa, how do you like this place? Since you want to head back to Chicago, I can't imagine you think its all that great. If I could afford to I'd leave right now, but I have to stick it out for another year, maybe less...hopefully less. Its hard to be in Fla, when my relatives and friends are all up north, minus a few family members, some live here. That's a lot of dog parks you've listed, its very reassuring. I will look through the websites you mentioned. Yeah, rent.com isn't the greatest place to look I've noticed. You have a dog too. aren't they great? My is actually a mixed Shepherd too. I was in a rush when I posted and didn't get into it, but she is a shepherd, husky, and lab mix. She's getting old though, she'll be thirteen next March.
I will keep the flight information in mind, thanks. That's pretty cheap too. It's perfect. If you think of anything I'll be here. thanks again. its appreciated.
Thanks to all.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
If you like mountains and such but also more of a city feel I'd honestly think about Denver. I love Chicago, but if I wanted something a bit smaller and less expensive I would def. move to Denver.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Just an FYI, but some wards don't allow pickup trucks to park on the street.
I would not even think about owning a pickup in Chicago. Chicago is a very anti pickup town. You will find whole neighbourhoods there where even parking one is banned. It will also be banned from Lakeshore Drive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago