Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Wow, is Illinois and Chicago great or what?

More dangerous than Baghdad

Perhaps the U.S. should pull out of Chicago?
Body count: In the last six months 292 killed (murdered) in Chicago.
221 killed in Iraq AND
Chicago has one of the strictest gun laws in the entire US.
The leadership in Illinois - all Democrats.
President: Barack Hussein Obama
Senator: Dick Durbin
House Representative: Jesse Jackson Jr.
Governor: Pat Quinn
House leader: Mike Madigan
Atty. Gen.: Lisa Madigan (daughter of Mike)
Mayor: Rahm Emanuel
Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago.
Of course, they're all blaming each other.
Can't blame Republicans; there aren't any!
Chicago school system rated one of the worst in the country. Can't blame
Republicans; there aren't any!
State pension fund $78 Billion in debt, worst in country. Can't blame Republicans;
there aren't any!
Cook County ( Chicago ) sales tax 10.25% highest in country. Can't blame
Republicans; there aren't any!
This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois.
And he is going to try to take away our right to own a gun in self-defense?

I post these things because I love CHI and because I want things there to be fixed.
This kind of thing needs to be kept in context. Yes, gun crime in Chicago is bad, as it is in many places in the US. Gun crime is also largely isolated to poor areas, so saying things like "Chicago more dangerous than Baghdad" is not exactly painting an accurate picture because many people in Chicago live their entire lives in Chicago in safe areas with out experiencing much or any violent crime.

The thing that's going to make a real difference is strict gun control.

Last edited by chitownperson; 12-24-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
This kind of thing needs to be kept in context. Yes, gun crime in Chicago is bad, as it is in many places in the US. Gun crime is also largely isolated to poor areas, so saying things like "Chicago more dangerous than Baghdad" is not exactly painting an accurate picture because many people in Chicago live their entire lives in Chicago in safe areas with out experiencing much or any violent crime.

You mean like the strict gun control (assault weapons ban) that we had in place nationwide when the Columbine Massacre happened in 1999?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
You mean like the strict gun control (assault weapons ban) that we had in place nationwide when the Columbine Massacre happened in 1999?
If you recall how those two acquired their guns, you'll realize why almost no one considered the US in the 90's a place with 'strict gun control'.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:

So, when gun violence is isolated to poor, minority areas it's ok? The problem occurs when good, white people start dying, right? It's good to know nothing has really changed in the past few centuries. lol

You are such a transparent hypocrite.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:

Whats going to make the difference is not blaming the gun for all the violence that is going on.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
So, when gun violence is isolated to poor, minority areas it's ok? The problem occurs when good, white people start dying, right? It's good to know nothing has really changed in the past few centuries. lol

You are such a transparent hypocrite.
If you actually read my posts and understood them in context you would actually understand that I believe 1 gun crime is 1 too many, regardless of whether someone is rich or poor, white or black. You were obviously too unintelligent to see that I was saying the violence in Chicago is not the same as Baghdad, and that living in a society where you are faced with violence on literally every street corner is different to a place where it's more isolated. If we'd followed my posts before, you'd know my advocacy for the importance of racial and economic equality. There was no value judgement in my post, but you decided to put it in anyway to push you pro gun agenda.

Before you start calling people "transparent hypocrites" you show look in the mirror and consider how you want to add more guns to a society where guns are being used to kill kids, and predominantly the poor and minorities.

You want to talk about who cares more about whites? The people that are for guns care more about whites, because its the poor and minorities that are disproportionately affected by gun violence in the US. So get off your high horse you "transparent hypocrite"!

Last edited by chitownperson; 12-24-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
if you recall how those two acquired their guns, you'll realize why almost no one considered the us in the 90's a place with 'strict gun control'.
+1

Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Whats going to make the difference is not blaming the gun for all the violence that is going on.
So more of the NRA, its the people, party line I see. "Gun" violence has nothing to do with "guns"? It's not too hard to understand the correlation.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Are you saying gun control does not keep guns out of the hands of criminals ? Maybe only honest citizens ?
No the problem is that guns have a habit of getting out of the hands of "honest citizens" and into criminal ones. I know there will be crime, but we don't need to make it easy for a criminal to get semi-automatic fire arms on the blackmarket.

The big problem isn't that guns can't help in self defense. The problem is that the self defense argument is over sold and so you have lots of fire arms to get stolen or sold to the black market than would be otherwise.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Those NRA bastards would rather do anything than give up some of their precious guns, even the screwball ones. The rest of us are supposed to form school guard militias and hire more cops just so their hobby isn't infringed on?
It's a safety blanket. I have been on the otherside of the gun to know it won't save you and I have lived in a rough area, so I know the bad guys are not just armed but well armed. There are times when I could see myself owning one but I also realize there are some big downsides that need to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago