Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM

79 posts, read 183,992 times

Advertisements

Really?? I heard only eastern texas was a tropical humid climate and houston, dallas, and austin arent in the eastern part. key word being TROPICAL not just HUMID i have just humid in wisconsin and the summers here are awful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscbrown View Post
Really?? I heard only eastern texas was a tropical humid climate and houston, dallas, and austin arent in the eastern part. key word being TROPICAL not just HUMID i have just humid in wisconsin and the summers here are awful
don't go to the US south if you hate humid, young lady

Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Houston's relative humidity here:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Houston Relative Humidity (Morning) 90%
Houston Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 63%

Dallas relative humidity here:

Dallas - Fort Worth Relative Humidity (Morning) 81%
Dallas - Fort Worth Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 58%

Austin relative humidity here:

Austin Relative Humidity (Morning) 83%
Austin Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 59%

Houston is worse than Dallas or Austin

10 most humid cities in America - Beaumont Enterprise
Of the 10 most humid cities in the US, Houston is #9
Texas has 5 out of the 10 most humid cities.
The Climate of Houston is classified as humid subtropical.

It is worse in the summer than other seasons, but you really only get relief about 3 months out of the year in the winter and there are NO seasons here.

For me, the other thing that makes Houston bad is the amount of pollution *and* pollen. My allergies never get a break here whereas in Chicago, they only were bad during the summer.

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Houston's relative humidity here:

Houston Relative Humidity (Morning) 90%
Houston Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 63%

Dallas relative humidity here:

Dallas - Fort Worth Relative Humidity (Morning) 81%
Dallas - Fort Worth Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 58%

Austin relative humidity here:

Austin Relative Humidity (Morning) 83%
Austin Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 59%

Houston is worse than Dallas or Austin

10 most humid cities in America - Beaumont Enterprise
Of the 10 most humid cities in the US, Houston is #9
Texas has 5 out of the 10 most humid cities.
The Climate of Houston is classified as humid subtropical.

It is worse in the summer than other seasons, but you really only get relief about 3 months out of the year in the winter and there are NO seasons here.

For me, the other thing that makes Houston bad is the amount of pollution *and* pollen. My allergies never get a break here whereas in Chicago, they only were bad during the summer.
I've been to Houston a few times and hated it, but wow you make it sound absolutely awful.

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
I think you're overstating the crime in Chicago and underestimating it in some of these Southern cities. I don't understand at all why you think it'd matter if you're black, you don't have to live in a black neighborhood that's sh!tty, and not every neighborhood where black people is bad. I'd like to hear where your family lives because they're definitely in a bad part of town if that's the impression you get. I can assure you 100% that you can find a cheap place in Chicago where crime is not a daily worry. So why bother searching for a replacement city?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM

778 posts, read 997,695 times
The only city that is remotely like Chicago is NYC, and thats it, and even thats a stretch.

You wanna find one down south? hahahaha

Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,223 times
Quote:
I live in Wisconsin and have visited chicago a million times due to my family living there and I LOVE it, especially the down town area with the electric/exciting vibe!

BUT the crime is out of hand and as a young african american single women probably not the best city for me

SO I thought down south would be a little better, cross paths with some southern gentlemen and some good southern cooking lol

BUT I need that same electric feel where it feels like a CITY not a town! Where I feel like i'm living and not just existing! I will only move to humid tropical climates so my top choices where

Jacksonville, FL, Charlotte, NC, Louisville, KY and Nashville, TN. I was looking into places like houston and dallas but the weather alone would make me miserable I hate dry heat !!!
No southern city would be much like Chicago because the cities of the south are relatively new. I guess Atlanta Georgia would be the closest because it has tall buildings (it is the only city in the south with a 1000 ft building), subways and a fair amount of Chicago Vienna Beef hot dog places and Chicago sports bars. Lots of ex Chicagoans reside there as well. Also Atlanta's climate is more moderate in the summer time. It is generally less humid and less hot because it is highly elevated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. 100 degrees there happens but is unusual.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
First off you need to do way better research. Chicago is not that dangerous, only in some neighborhoods, and only a select few. Out of the 52 community areas I would say 5-8 of those community areas are dangerous, the remaing 40 or so are perfectly safe. Also crime continues to decline, although this year there has been a small uptick, but very small. I mean in the 90's the number of homicides annually was like 800 now it's been cut in halfl at about 400-500. If anything it's getting safer here.

Nowhere in the south is dry. If you think Wisconsin is humid, lol, you obviously have not been to the south in the summer. The south in the summer is literally a hellish inferno. You will be longing for a Wisconsin summer.

Last point, you will not find any city like Chicago in regards to street life and electricity in the south. The only ones that I can give a SLIGHT nod to are New Orleans and Miami, but barely. The only cities that feel similar to Chicago in regards to its urban culture are NYC, LA, SF, Boston, DC andPhilly. Outside of that no other place is really comparable.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
"52" community areas?

Only 8 are dangerous?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"52" community areas?

Only 8 are dangerous?

my bad long day. There are 77. I wouldn't put it past ten being truly dangerous places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago