Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the same place for 7+ years. For the past 4 years I've used automatic bill pay to send my rent checks because my landlord used to sandbag them and screw up my money mojo. Every once in a while, she'd call and say she hasn't received the check or they misplaced it. I've always been quick to send the proof of payment from Chase via e-mail. In April, she asked for proof of January and March (which I sent).

Then in September she said she didn't have records of March or May. When I look at my bank account, I saw all of them had been cashed as usual... except May. May was cancelled by Chase after the check wasn't cashed in 90 days. At the end of October I sent her another check for May. Then this month she told me that she lost my replacement check!!!

I'm so annoyed by her poor accounting, I don't know what to do. I see us living here another year at least. I certainly don't want to send her confirmation every month (multiple times) and I don't know how to politely explain what her responsibilities are. And what to do about May? Send a second replacement check? That would be the third check for the same month. How many times is reasonable? What about tenant rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Why dont you just write her a check and give it to her personally, and make her give you a receipt.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Ask her to set up a savings account at her primary bank, give you the number and ACH it directly into the account each month. Saves her time, saves you headaches, and shouldn't cost either of you anything.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialthinker View Post
For the past 4 years I've used automatic bill pay to send my rent checks because my landlord used to sandbag them and screw up my money mojo.
You lost me, when you made the statement quoted above.

Automatic bill pay is electronic and not accomplished with a paper check ... or atleast that's how my automatic bill pay works.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You lost me, when you made the statement quoted above.

Automatic bill pay is electronic and not accomplished with a paper check ... or atleast that's how my automatic bill pay works.
It sounds like he is just using the word "check" as a blanket statement, He pays his rent bill by EFT

Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
It sounds like he is just using the word "check" as a blanket statement, He pays his rent bill by EFT
Maybe.

If so, then what's the problem providing a photocopy of the transaction? Doing so takes maybe 30 seconds. There are more important/significant things to stress-out over.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
But he also said that the check for May was canceled b/c it hadn't been cashed within 90 days. Definitely sounds like paper checks are involved here or the OP isn't explaining the situation that well.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
But he also said that the check for May was canceled b/c it hadn't been cashed within 90 days. Definitely sounds like paper checks are involved here or the OP isn't explaining the situation that well.
The OP is using a system that I use where you can schedule your bank to automatically mail a check on your behalf every month. The problem typically is that the envelopes the checks come in look a lot like junk mail that a bank would send you to open a credit card/etc.

I would recommend trying to use paypal, getting your landlord's account/routing number and doing EFT, or something that removes paper completely from the equation.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
I have it setup the same, have the landlord give you her account number and have bill pay mail the check to her bank and deposit it in her name. That's how I have my Chase Bill pay setup.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
The OP has chase automatic check bill pay setup. As the other user mentioned it sends a check on a certain day each month automatically.

Here is a list of tenant laws for Illinois:
Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Illinois - HUD

Look through there and if you have any other questions you may want to ask the people in the Renting Forum. They are very knowledgeable over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago