Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM

257 posts, read 491,416 times

Advertisements

Can you guys tell me how safe this area is? Near laramie and Bloomingdale? Laramie and wabansia? I did some search and most say to stay west of Narragansett but this one is east of Narragansett. If anybody knows how safe this area is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
Can you guys tell me how safe this area is? Near laramie and Bloomingdale? Laramie and wabansia? I did some search and most say to stay west of Narragansett but this one is east of Narragansett. If anybody knows how safe this area is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Bloomingdale ave? Stay west of Naragansett.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Bloomingdale ave? Stay west of Naragansett.
Well I would but there is giant gated housing complex there. I can't pick it up and move it

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
Well I would but there is giant gated housing complex there. I can't pick it up and move it
Well then, stay west of the giant gated complex. Or move into the giant gated complex and live happily ever after. Maybe.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM

300 posts, read 638,779 times
Why are the people on this fourm so scared of the Westside & Southside? I was raised on Laramie & North Ave and 9 /10 of the time if you stay to yourself nothing will happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Why are the people on this fourm so scared of the Westside & Southside? I was raised on Laramie & North Ave and 9 /10 of the time if you stay to yourself nothing will happen.
I wouldn't say most people are afraid of the South and West sides. I'd say that people are afraid of certain areas.

Also, growing up there is different than actually going there later in life. You're kind of born into it, and you're used to it. You have friends and what not there so it's different.

My friend grew up in Oak Park and said a few years ago he biked to his parents through Garfield Park and part of Austin to get home. He said kids were actually throwing rocks at him as he rode through there. Before we play this race **** and think he's white, no he's actually black. He also said as a kid he'd "sneak" to Austin, and people would literally try and steal the shoes off his feet in some areas.

I've been to areas of Garfield Park, Austin, Englewood, South Shore, etc and it's not all bad, but let's be real here. A lot of those places are not places you want to find yourself in unless you have friends actually from the area.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I will readily admit that I am one of those. Problem is, I do like to stay to my self. That's not the problem. Problem is they seem to like what I have and they won't keep to themselves.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM

20 posts, read 158,031 times
its not the best over there. Honestly bloomingdale is about where it starts clearing up at tho but closer towards austin and bloomingdale and west of that towards narraganset it gets better. Theres a liquor store on laramie and north ave that gets alot of traffic especially some nights and alot of **** going on there and bloomingdale isnt that far from there so alot of the traffic and drunks roam around that way.

i use to live on laramie and schubert and its not bad at all a lil bit north of that like once u pass grand its better areas for the most part.

i live in that area but im past austin closer to narraganset havent had any problems in my area i just moved here about a couple months ago.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
Quote:
Because people... mostly kids/teens are *******s in those areas.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My friend grew up in Oak Park and said a few years ago he biked to his parents through Garfield Park and part of Austin to get home. He said kids were actually throwing rocks at him as he rode through there. Before we play this race **** and think he's white, no he's actually black. He also said as a kid he'd "sneak" to Austin, and people would literally try and steal the shoes off his feet in some areas.
It's difficult to draw conclusions about the behavior of kids under the age of 17. On the wrong day at the wrong time I could probably be assaulted by some rich kid leaving St Ignatius, Chicago Lab, or New Trier. Kids are stupid, impulsive, and feel invincible, and people are often the victim of some stupid kid trying to impress his friends by acting tough.

So were the rock-throwing kids in Austin doing it because they are Black, because they are poor, because they feel they have no options in life and therefore have "nothing to lose?" Or were they just stupid kids like the stupid kids we have all over this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago