Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

Very rare few times have I seen RVs parked in Chicago streets. My dream RV, a Winnabago Rialta - saw one parked in Humbolt Park by Wright College trade school, - it seemed some resident there owned it...

Is it a problem owning an RV in Chicago? How much is registration, stickers, and insurance for it? Do you have to have it parked in a special parking lot instead? Are they prone to getting a lot of tickets in Chicago, if parking in the streets are not allowed?

I think about owning an affordable RV so I can work longer distance jobs like in McHenry, Carol Stream, Indiana, Michigan City, or Racine WI. I would drive Sunday night near to work, and sleep in avoiding a rush hour traffic drive. Or I would live in the RV if I worked at Caterpiller in Peoria and I'd visit Chicago home every weekend.

When I bought a Honda Civic Blue Ox tow bar baseplate for my Civic, the seller was a man from Wi who worked in Indiana and lived in an RV. Then he'd drive back for the weekend to WI. I was do this or be unemployed and divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM

211 posts, read 394,943 times
Default RV -- Bad idea

You are inquiring about RV ownership as resident of Chicago. You answered many of your own questions. The City of Chicago, State of Illinois, and insurance companies would have a strangle hold on your wallet. There are some here, behind tall fences, and never leave the yard or driveway.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
A Rialta is actually a Class B, and this may register as a car, like a van conversion will; check it out. For that matter, a van conversion may be better in the city. Anyway, since it's only 21-22 feet long, you might find a slightly longer driveway that would accommodate it, which you could rent.

BTW, Rialta's are cool looking, but have unreliable engines, from what I remember reading.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
The guy I met had a Holiday Rambler which was big and he said it was a hassle to drive it in big cities. He had to meet me in a big parking lot, by Old Orchard.

I like the 2001 and later Rialtas - they have 201 hp I think. 2000 & earlier 140 Hp or so.

There was a 2000 Rialta on Craigslist for a very short time, it was $5900 but it didn't have a layout I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: