Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM

38 posts, read 89,622 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I am planning a family trip to Chicago. We will see all the usual attractions Shedds, zoo, sears tower, the museums. I am looking for things to do or see that are unusual but family friendly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
https://www.imss.org/

Museum of Contemporary Photography

What to do in Chicago, Chicago hotel rooms and sites - Choose Chicago

Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM

223 posts, read 662,563 times
Jwaiter provided you with some good links. In the third link, there's a section on bird sanctuaries -- some of which I never knew about.

Here's another suggestion: If your kids are into trying different types of food, you could check out one of Chicago's great restaurants, specifically ones that capitalize on Chicago's "hog butcher to the world" reputation... To that end, the Publican, which takes reservations, has all sorts of great pork and other meats, plus seafood. Some tables are long and communal; other seating is available at booths. Publican Also in keeping with the food theme: Chicago is known for hot dogs, and there are a couple of gourmet hot dog places. Hot Doug's is fantastic, though check before going as they sometimes have a quirky vacation schedule. Lines can be long and out the door. Hot Doug's Finally, not sure where you hail from, but not all cities have a Chinatown, but Chicago does. Lao Sze Chuan has very good Chinese food, and I've heard good things about Lao Hunan. Chicago Top-Rated Chinese Restaurants with Authentic Szechuan Cuisine

Finally, I'd check out the Chicago Architecture Foundation's tours. Boat tours are great in the summer, but I'm sure they have some good alternatives for this time of year. http://www.architecture.org/tours#

Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If you're going at least Mid to late March or later, then easily easily easily the Boat Tours. If you're into architecture, then there's some awesome old huge row homes/mansions (including the original playboy mansion) in the Gold Coast.

When are you going though? Some of this depends on when you'll be going....there's more to do when it's warmer out.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM

223 posts, read 662,563 times
Never been on one of these, and I have no idea if your kids are too young, but these tours seem pretty unique.

About.com: http://www.gangstertour.com/times_price.htm

Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM

38 posts, read 89,622 times
What about pinballs. Isn't Stern in Chicago? Maybe some places to play them.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Baha'i Temple?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
How old are the kids? My kids enjoy the Children's Museum on Navy Pier.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noofensmoke View Post
What about pinballs. Isn't Stern in Chicago? Maybe some places to play them.
Chicago was once the pinball capital. Stern still exists in the area in Melrose Park, which is a western suburb (a little south of O'Hare intl). Would be interesting to see if they did any tours. Midway Games is also located in the Avondale neighborhood near DeVry University along the river.

Arcades have fallen out of favor, but there's still some. Unfortunately, a few of the good ones are actually barcades. There are some others though where you might have luck. Actually the largest arcade in Illinois is in the suburb of Brookfield called Galloping Ghost. There is a place in Logan Square that has arcade games to play I believe...called Logan Hardware which is a cross between arcade and game/vinyl record shop. Then there's Dave & Busters in Gold Coast but mehhh. There's some other great video game stores in town too that sell for pretty much every console ever created (one is in the Lakeview neighborhood).

If you're into the old stuff, there's some real great record stores too around.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Boat tour?

Chicago Boat Tours Comparison Lakefront and River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago