Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM

78 posts, read 232,115 times

Advertisements

Sweet tea is not readily available like it is in VA (and GA where I currently live). In the 4+ times I've visited I've been on the hunt for it and never found it - the closest I came to it was this mint tea at Cheesecake Factory. Not the same but after 4 days of not having any I was satisfied!

P.S. I've since given it up to purge myself of its delights so I don't have withdrawals when we make the move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 AM

17 posts, read 47,578 times
I hate sweet tea, but having been born in the south, and having parents who are southerners, I can tell you it's going to be pretty hard to find here. Better get good at making it yourself. As for the gay thing, I can't give you first hand information on that, but I've never seen an instance of someone being intolerant towards gay people.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
One of my best friends in Chicago is a gay cowboy who liked to wear backless leather chaps every Friday night. I won a lot of money on his ability to ride the mechanical bull the longest.

Yes, gay southerners are accepted in Chicago. Honey you're moving north, to the generally apathetic midwest. Places become more progressive here as you move up, especially since you're coming from the south

Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
Cool gay street light!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Sweet tea? Frickin McDonalds has it if youre really jonesin'. lol

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
YES.

Chicago is a gay friendly city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
Currently I reside in Richmond, VA and go to the #1 public art school in the country, so the area i'm in tends to be gay friendly. After I graduate, i have been considering where i want to live. Chicago seems like a nice city (though i may have to get used to the cold, wind, and snow that ya'll are accustomed to!) with good opportunities.

So basically i'm asking if i'll get made fun of or even discriminated against for having a southern accent (very faint, as virginia is losing it's southern touch) or being southern/gay in general.

any advice would be appreciated, also any other info you can give me on the city. thanks!

ps. will i get looked at like i have 3 heads if i ask for sweet tea?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You ask this as if Chicago doesn't draw people from all over the country, or the world for that matter. We have whole neighborhoods where English is not even the default language -- trust me, we do not consider Virginia to be an exotic foreign land, nor are we titillated by the sound of a different accent.

Meanwhile, some parts of this city are so gay that even the street lights are gay. I am not making this up.

Yep, you'll stand out all right -- you and the other hundreds of thousands of people who moved here from somewhere else and then blend into the background together.

Sweet tea is available on a limited basis, mostly at restaurants that serve some form of southern food such as soul food joints or barbecue joints. And on the latter note, a word of caution: most Chicago restaurants that claim to serve barbecue don't serve anything that any southerner would recognize as barbecue. True and good barbecue has to be hunted down in these parts. Don't believe a place serves barbecue just because it says so on their door.
Gay street lights LMFAO!!! Do they only like other boy street lights? lol! For Christmas we should decorate them in D&G skin tight shirts, white D&G belts, skin tight low rise jeans, slap some Puma Speed Cat shoes on them puppies... or flip flops, and give them a Faux Hawk and we're set... We could even give all the street lights cute little names like: Danny, Gregory, Brenden, Bruce, Emmett, Chance... We would have the official gay street lights of the US lol j/k

Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Gay street lights LMFAO!!! Do they only like other boy street lights? lol! For Christmas we should decorate them in D&G skin tight shirts, white D&G belts, skin tight low rise jeans, slap some Puma Speed Cat shoes on them puppies... or flip flops, and give them a Faux Hawk and we're set... We would have the official gay street lights lol j/k
Yeeeeeah.... you're a straight guy

We clearly need more gay men, southern or otherwise.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 13,264 times
Yes they are, even ask Jerry Springer

Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Yeeeeeah.... you're a straight guy

We clearly need more gay men, southern or otherwise.
LMFAO!!! Never said I was or was not, but gays in Chicago def. need more variety. Walking along Halsted, I tend to feel like I'm surrounded by robots as EVERYONE has to look exactly the same. Talk about "sheeple"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago