Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

84 posts, read 90,185 times

Advertisements

I have just moved to the east coast from London on a work managment position for a few years. I have three days in Chi town next week, which will be busy spent working. However, I arrive early Sunday morning. If you had one free day in Chicago what would you do? As I am staying in the loop, I figure I might just walk around a little and then go to the Chicago history museum and find a good resturant / jazz club in the evening? Are there any good prohibition or gansgter tours? I am kind of interested in that. If I had 3 -5 days, I would just make my own plan but as I don't I thought I would seek some advice in case I go wrong on my free time.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Definitely get out of the Loop. Most of the Loop is the CBD, so not a lot of action. There is Millennium Park which is cool (this is where that reflecting bean is). If you're into art, the Art Institute is worth checking out (has Van Gogh, Chagall, Picasso, Warhol, etc).

If you want good blues, then go to either BLUES on Halsted or Kingston Mines (both in Lincoln Park and basically across from one another). There's also Buddy Guy's in the South Loop which is decent, but the two above are way older institutions. There's also the Chicago Jazz Showcase in Printer's Row (South Loop). If you want to go out of your zone, then there's places like Rosa's Lounge in Logan Square that's great too. In the Near North Side (north of the Loop) there is also the Underground Wonder Bar which could be jazz and/or blues any given night. There's also Andy's Jazz in River North/Streeterville but I'm not sure about their rules for things as they are usually a dinner + show type of place. They do have earlier shows though so you might be able to get to that without having to eat a meal. In Uptown, a very famous place for jazz is the Green Mill as well.

There are some gangster tours. This is the one I've seen the most around:
Untouchable Tours Home

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
I second the Kingston Mines or BLUE suggestion. Undeground Wonderbar is great too. It has a different environment though. Small, intimate versus loud and rowdy. Just depends on what you want.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM

84 posts, read 90,185 times
Somewhere with some atmosphere is alway good for me, thanks for your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: