Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM

486 posts, read 863,672 times

Advertisements

Garfield Park Conservatory is the largest one in the US. It is a treasure. I went there last year
and drove down Central Park off of Augusta and was taken back by what I saw. During the time
we were there during the day, there were several police cars and many arrests being made.
Since then I've been reading about the crime there, seems really bad. So now, Garfield Park is right up there with Englewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
So far this year? Yeah, it has the most homicides of any neighborhood so far in 2013...West Garfield Park, not EGP. However, I would say that Austin is just as bad as Englewood

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,474 times
Yeah, I'm not sure what you're asking, key4lp. Yes, the Garfield Park Conservatory is an amazing place, a great destination, and one of Chicago's true treasures. And actually the rest of Garfield Park itself is actually a wonderful park, one of the best in the city, and a worthwhile place to spend some time, at least during the day. But the surrounding neighborhoods on all sides have been very rough for a long time. There are and have been some signs of improvement and vitality there, but it's still a quite poor and rather violent place (by modern American standards, at least), and somewhere where few people would choose to live if they have other options. The neighborhood is actually kind of an interesting place to visit, with some very notable history and architecture. And as a visitor, as long as you use some basic common sense, it's generally acceptably safe, either by car, bus, el, bicycle, or even on foot. But I wouldn't want to live there, at least not without a great deal of thought and caution. None of this is new, though. Sadly, that's been more or less the situation in and around Garfield Park for decades now.

Last edited by tompope; 02-21-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
This is nothing new. Garfield Park (the neighborhood) has been a distressed, crime-addled neighborhood for decades now. If anything it's better now than it was 20 years ago but it's still not the kind of place you go to make an evening of it.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM

I was just wanting to get some feedback from those familiar with Garfield Park & if what I was reading is true. I grew up
fairly close to GP and back then I think it was closed down. Our father usually took us to Humboldt Park. I've been there
several times and several years ago there was all this talk about the area around GP near the Lake St. el that was the
up and coming area (and no I wasn't a yuppie or investor who was looking into investing in real estate).
Since I grew up in the city of Chicago, I really miss it so every now and then we take a long drive to be there again.
I just wanted a little feedback about how the area is this year and how the conservatory is doing (it is an amazing place).

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
The worst things that have happened to the Conservatory recently were some damage from a hail storm 2 summers ago, and some drunk yuppies at a wedding uprooted some very rare plants. The hail damage was fixable.. Points about the neighborhoods surrounding the park are spot on ... explore carefully, but the park and especially the conservatory are still very well kept and are rare treasures for that part of the city ..

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM

I read about the hail damage and when we went they had temporary plexi glass. The staff were great and very
enthusiastic and proud of the conservatory. They said they raised a good amount of money. Too bad some drunk idiots
uprooted rare plants. Hope the conservatory was able to heal them.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
So now, Garfield Park is right up there with Englewood?
It's been an "iffy" neighborhood for the past couple of decades, best I can recollect. West Side crime doesn't seem to get the coverage as crime in Englewood and the South Side - but my sense is what's happening on the West Side isn't as devastating as what's been going on in Englewood. So, no ... not an apples to apples comparison ... yet.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
Maybe that devastation already happened ..long ago .. parts of the West Side never recovered from the riots in 1968 , some Urban renewal efforts that proceeded that that took out ostensibly stable areas , and some areas that were never historically affluent to begin with ( although some Near West Side/East Garfield Park show signs of past opulence) ..I remember African American friends describing the difference between the South Side and The West Side with "..the South Side Brothers have jobs "

Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM

240 posts, read 465,052 times
From Business Week in March 2007. America's next hot neighborhoods:

America's Next Hot Neighborhoods | BusinessWeek

What a difference a recession makes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago