Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity for an interview for a job with the City of Chicago, and was wondering what the culture is like? It is a position that requires a degree, and I am not getting it through connections. I don't want it to be like what I think most city jobs are. Which is a bunch of politically connected bums who do nothing all day and rape the taxpayer. I also don't want it to be all people who grew up in Chicago and went to college in Chicago and talk like gangsters. I don't want to be a minority in the workplace (I'm a Caucasian male).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,623 times
Is this a serious question? What makes you think it's going to be any different from any other professional job in the city?

All your questions will be answered if you go in for the interview, so I recommend you do that.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Jobs are scarce. You are damn lucky to even get an interview. If you have a bad attitude it will show through and you will not get the job. I have worked with some people from the city and they are highly professional and seemed like any one else with a good job.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM

498 posts, read 977,402 times
Political connections take a back seat to financial losses. If a business is losing money because of an incompetent employee, that employee will find himself being shown the exit, no matter who his parents or friends are.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM

264 posts, read 280,417 times
Don't want to be a minorty? So your post is asking if you will work with plenty of white people? So much of what you wrote is really negative. Flip your attitude around and go kill the interview. Then the ball will be in your court and you can decide if the gig is for you.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
one of the City's branches is my client. I can't really speak for the City as a whole, but I can tell you this particular branch of the city government is kind of a joke. People barely work. It's *very* laid back.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,763 times
I interned with the city 7 years ago. There was a lot of newspaper reading at desks. Everyone made sure to take their full 1 hour lunch as well as their two 15 minutes breaks as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
one of the City's branches is my client. I can't really speak for the City as a whole, but I can tell you this particular branch of the city government is kind of a joke. People barely work. It's *very* laid back.
It's *very* laid back. I think that's a good way of putting it. I had a friend who worked for the accounting department for the state in the Thompson Center. She said it was all VERY laid back and basically just backwards. She quit after 2 years from extreme bordom. Her boss would leave at noon every day for lunch and just never happen to come back. People would get dirty looks and yelled at if they were trying to hard....cause it made everyone else look bad.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's *very* laid back. I think that's a good way of putting it. I had a friend who worked for the accounting department for the state in the Thompson Center. She said it was all VERY laid back and basically just backwards. She quit after 2 years from extreme bordom. Her boss would leave at noon every day for lunch and just never happen to come back. People would get dirty looks and yelled at if they were trying to hard....cause it made everyone else look bad.
Yep. It's just a very lax environment. Also, my client also paid my company 40 or 50k for services we didn't' even render. They ended up cancelling a project and the person in charge felt bad, so he just cut us a check that he was in no way contractually obligated to cut. Sure it was nice, but it was pretty crazy to see how they just throw around taxpayer money.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
This. That's the stereotype, and from what I've observed, it's more or less correct except at the very highest levels of government where people are generally capable and work hard. Government employment will turn the most idealistic employee into a time server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: